Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking & Weight - Stupid Question

Re: Backpacking & Weight - Stupid Question

I lash a small carbon fiber tripod to the top of my external frame backpack.

I'm going to look into other backpacks to see if I can find something lighter than 6 pounds that carries as much weight comfortably.
    Robert Oliver

For me the issue is go light or don't go. I'm a 55 year old guy who has put a lot of miles on my knees and whose back is a little dicey. With less than 30lbs total weight for camping and camera gear, I can pretty much walk all day and still be fresh enough to feel like taking some pictures along the way. Much more than that and the trip becomes misery and stopping to take pictures seems like too much work.
    As far as lenses are concerned, there are some wonderful lightweight ones that do not require you to give up anything in terms of quality. The Schneider Angulon 90mm, the Nikkor 200M, 300M and the G-Clarons (150, 210, 240, 270, 305 and 355) come to mind. You can also use convertible lenses like the Schneider Symmar 150/265 to save weight. Kerry Thalmann has a web site that talks about the options for lightweight lenses.
    Good luck,
    Dave B.

Rio Oso shooter

If you lose weight you should be working out and doing endurance training. If you lose weight then the same size pack will be a larger percentage of your body mass. One thing to consider is that you knees will love you. I am older and dropping weight has been a blessing for my knees. If you are younger losing weight will pay off in the future when you get older. I have found hiking is brutal on the knees, mostly those down hills! Oh use those hiking poles! Great inventions!

Take Care,
    Richard Adams

try saving weight in other areas of your gear......like the tent. if is not going to rain you can save 6 pounds right there.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Thanks guys for all of the good advice. The question was stupid because the answer is so simple. Get in shape! Put the pack on and hike, hike, hike.

My new pack from Bruce showed up and is fully loaded. It fits like a glove and the way it spreads out the load, it feels really good. Nothing at all like that Lowpro Trecker that made me feel so damn old!

I was visiting the doctor a few months ago, and he gave me some very good advice. Something you would never figure out on your own. It cost me $50.00 to find this out, but I will share it with you for free. The good doctor told me, "What you need to do is eat less and exercise more."

J V McLure

Colin Fletcher always said that "a pound on your feet was equal to 5 pounds in the pack." He also wore some pretty heavy Pivetta boots on his long walks. Within reason, wear the lightest hiking boots that are still comfortable and protect your feet.

Have you investigated a lighter backpack?
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Wayne,

The pack I purhased from Photobackpacker is a Granite Gear Nimbus Access in the 3,800 cubic inch size. It is not at all heavy and with the various adjustments, it has been set up to fit like a glove. I loaded it up and did a couple of quick miles late yesterday. The problem was the brutal East Texas heat - not my weight or that of the loaded pack.

J V

Cool Re: Backpacking & Weight - Stupid Question

Quote Originally Posted by J V McLure View Post
    Wayne,

The pack I purhased from Photobackpacker is a Granite Gear Nimbus Access in the 3,800 cubic inch size. It is not at all heavy and with the various adjustments, it has been set up to fit like a glove. I loaded it up and did a couple of quick miles late yesterday. The problem was the brutal East Texas heat - not my weight or that of the loaded pack.

J V
    Howdy, neighbor!

I sent my previous message before reading about your new pack. It should be a winner.

I know all about the East Texas Rainforest & HEAT! For 3 years we couldn't buy rain. Now I have stuff growing on stuff I've never seen before. I'm about to shove off from Houston for Wood County. Triple digit temps are forecast. This afternoon has all the earmarks of jumping in the old swimming hole. I've postponed restarting my film developing until the tap water drops below 80 degrees!

I may have to investigate that Granite Gear pack. I have an Osprey panel loader now. If it works with the Photobackpacker cases, I'm all set. Otherwise, I'll look into something newer.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Lose the 10 pounds. You'll gain cardiovascular benefits from your own weight loss that will probably let you add 15 pounds to the pack.

You might actually feel better even when not carrying a pack...

Alan, to be honest, I have already taken off thirty-five and I only have fifteen more to go to be back to where I was in 1971 when I was a senior in highschool. Eating right and spending an hour at the gym every day on the way home has made feel better than I have in many, many years. It was not long ago that the thought of backpacking would never have never even crossed my mind. Now, I have a goal and I am well on my way to making it. Next June I am going to the Pecos Wildneress in Northern New Mexico and I am going to hike from Cowels to Pecos Baldy lake. The last time I did that was in 1973. Well.......thirty five years later, I shall return.

I'm also excited at the prospect of riding a horse again without it being consider a matter to be looked into by PETA. With a horse, mule and LF gear - life could not be better than that!

J V McLure