View Poll Results: Is a compendium shade worth it?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's worth the costs and I regularly use one.

34 48.57%
  • Yes, it's worth the costs but I don't bother to use one.

15 21.43%
  • No, it's not worth the costs but I still use one.

4 5.71%
  • No, it's not worth the costs and I don't use one.

17 24.29%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compendium - Worth the hassle and cost?

Compendium - Worth the hassle and cost?

So I'm considering getting a compendium shade for my Arca Swiss. Man - they are not cheap!

I know there is a benefit to blocking out all non-image forming light with a compendium shade, versus just shading the front element (my tried and true method). I guess what I don't know is whether the improvement in final image quality is sufficient to warrant the expense of the compendium, the extra time/effort it takes to set up for each shot, and the added weight in the pack.

Is this one of those things where everyone agrees that it's "better" to use one, but no one actually bothers to do it themselves?

Re: Compendium - Worth the hassle and cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon N View Post
    So I'm considering getting a compendium shade for my Arca Swiss. Man - they are not cheap!

I know there is a benefit to blocking out all non-image forming light with a compendium shade, versus just shading the front element (my tried and true method). I guess what I don't know is whether the improvement in final image quality is sufficient to warrant the expense of the compendium, the extra time/effort it takes to set up for each shot, and the added weight in the pack.

Is this one of those things where everyone agrees that it's "better" to use one, but no one actually bothers to do it themselves?
    I do like you and use a french flag to block light falling on the front element for the reasons you mention, weight, hassle and expense. I have compared negatives using a compendium and a french flag and I saw no difference.

I have a Lee compendium and lots of filters for it, however I only use it in the studio or for architectural work when I bring my studio with me in my car.

When I walk (or bike) out the door with a camera it is always with a single lens and a metal hood attached. Foolish, I know, but I just can't be bothered. I use the darkslide or my hand as a flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    I have a Lee compendium and lots of filters for it, however I only use it in the studio or for architectural work when I bring my studio with me in my car.

When I walk (or bike) out the door with a camera it is always with a single lens and a metal hood attached. Foolish, I know, but I just can't be bothered. I use the darkslide or my hand as a flag.

I also use a Lee compendium hood, the wide angle one, with a couple of filter slots. I use it for all of my lenses in both LF and ULF, except for a couple that need larger filters than 4" square. This has saved me a lot on filters since I only need one set for nearly all of my lenses.

When working with LF and ULF I rarely make an exposure without using the hood. It is just standard practice to take it along and set the camera up with the lens hood.

Sandy King

The great thing about Sinar is that you can take a regular bellows, attach it to an accessory standard and use the clamp rod thing to attach it to the front standard. Add a bellows hood mask unit to the front of the accessory standard and you can block almost any unwanted light. The bellows hood mask 2 costs crazy money though. I have the hood mask 1 which is a lot cheaper but still a lot more effective than just the bellows hood.

I use it for all of my lenses in both LF and ULF, except for a couple that need larger filters than 4" square
    Sandy, what are you using for filters larger than 4" square. I am about to get a 72XL and the CF bumps the front thread up to 112mm. Won't be able to mount the Lee foundation kit on this so 100x100 graduated ND's are not going to work.

Michael E. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon N View Post
    I guess what I don't know is whether the improvement in final image quality is sufficient to warrant the expense of the compendium, the extra time/effort it takes to set up for each shot, and the added weight in the pack.
    I operate under the "don't fix it if it isn't broken" idiom. Is there something wrong with your negs/prints that you'd be considering a compendium shade? I use the inexpensive and always-available hand/hat/body block, or at best a Flare Buster, and I've never had reason to consider something more costly or complicated. YMMV.

I have been meaning to buy a compendium shade for a while. My lenses aren't multicoated and are prone to flare.

I'd like to know I can shoot without the sun behind me and get acceptible contrast. I ought to buy one soon!

I use them on my Arca-Swiss 4x5 and KB Canham 8x10 all the time. Some times I add a flag, as well, from the strong light side (does it have to be French?).
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Using your hand or something else to block light from the top is fine with a single, direct light source. Compendiums are more useful when the light is diffused and isn't coming from a single source, such as the light on a bright overcast day, or when sunlight is bouncing off of things like rock walls in a canyon. Those are the kinds of situations where compendiums are supposed to be better than your hand or something similar. I can't speak from experience, I didn't encounter situations where a compendium would clearly be preferable to my hand often enough to use the one I owned for a while. I think you either do as Sandy does and just automatically put it on every time or else don't bother buying one.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.