Thread: Dallas area pro resources

Dallas area pro resources

I'm moving to Denton, Texas, and need to know about all relevant resources in the Dallas/Ft Worth/Denton/Frisco/Plano area. Labs, rental houses, repair shops, camera stores, etc. Anything relevant would be nice to know. Thanks!

Re: Dallas area pro resources

Being a former Dallas resident, all I can say is...I'm sorry.

Just kidding - sort of. I don't know about Denton, but there are some sparse places in Dallas that you can use. Arlington Camera is pretty good in - you guessed it - Arlington, Texas.

Near downtown Dallas off of I-35 there is a cluster of shops and labs.

Dallas Camera
    http://www.dallascamera.com/index.html

Competitive Cameras
    http://www.competitivecameras.com/

BWC Photo Imaging is a decent place to make prints and processing.
    http://www.bwc.net/home.php

Good luck and stay out of the heat.

You might want to post on APUG. There is a pretty large contingent of folks living in the DFW area who are regulars and great individuals and would know about all the various resources in the area.

Good thought - I'll see what they say over on APUG. Also, thanks for the links, Jack.

Let me elaborate a bit. Arlington Camera has been for years, "the" camera place in the metroplex. However, if you want analog materials, they seem to be shrinking everytime I go by there. On the other hand, the owner of Competitive Camera made a point to tell me one of the last times I was in there buying film that he absolutely was going to continue to sell the stuff! His selection is not the greatest, but he's getting to be the only game in town. For digital, either place is fine.

Dallas Camera sells only MF and digital pro level gear, but is a great rental place.

BWC labs is very comprehensive and I recommend them, although some consider them pricey.

There was a chain of small places here called Film Depot, but the one in Dallas proper closed. I have heard that they are simply consolidating 3 or 4 stores into one location, and it may be in Plano.

I'm not sure about Denton, but there are a large number of shooters up there in the photo school at UNT, so there must be supplies and gear somewhere.

Let us know on this board and/or APUG when you get to town and we'll show you around!

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    Being a former Dallas resident, all I can say is...I'm sorry.

Just kidding - sort of. I don't know about Denton, but there are some sparse places in Dallas that you can use. Arlington Camera is pretty good in - you guessed it - Arlington, Texas.

Near downtown Dallas off of I-35 there is a cluster of shops and labs.

Dallas Camera
    http://www.dallascamera.com/index.html

Competitive Cameras
    http://www.competitivecameras.com/

BWC Photo Imaging is a decent place to make prints and processing.
    http://www.bwc.net/home.php

Good luck and stay out of the heat.

Well its not photo related, but is still relevant. Pat's BBQ just east of Tyler has some good 'Que
    Take Hwy 31 east from Tyler, TX approximately 9 miles, turn south onto County Rd. 21. Then about 1/2 mile turn back to the west on County Rd. 26. Pat's is about 100 yards on your right. Yes it does look like a shack.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

On the Tarrant County side of things you have two places for equipment. The previously mentioned Arlington Camera and near downtown Fort Worth is Fort Worth Camera. They are not related. Neither has much in the way of film anymore but both are friendly and helpful. Competitive Camera in Dallas may have more film but the owner is less than friendly and helpful sometimes.

For processing in Cowtown the best bet is Barron Photographix. They do E-6, c-41 and B+W. Do nice print work too. Next is using BWC in Dallas. After that is Camp Bowie Color.

Barrons, Camp Bowie Color and Fort Worth Camera are in a 4 block radius off 7th street right near the museums.

Welcome to Texas.

By the way Fort Worth, Dallas, Plano and NE Tarrant County all have pretty active camera clubs. I have been to the Fort Worth club meetings a few times, around 100 members and they do regular outings. Might be worth checking out.

Whatever happens, should you find yourself driving on the outskirts of Denton and you get a flat tire, dont go to the strange looking house with the odd man in the window upstairs, trust me....

erie

Hey, welcome to Denton! We have one little film shop on the corner of University Blvd. & Bonnie Brae, a branch of Film Depot. They carry a supply of b/w film in up to 4x5 format, Ilford papers, Ilford and Kodak chemicals, and a few darkroom supplies. They're a drop-off location for BWC labs. It's nice to have the store in town as an option, but it's there mostly for UNT and TWU students.