Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acadia national park

Smile Acadia national park

I am planning a LF photo trip to Acadia national park and need help from someone has visited there.

Question One:

What is the best time to go there? Is it early October OK for the autumn-colored foliage? Or, it is too cold to go there? Any snow during that time?

Question two:

How many days do I need to stay there in order to visit all the spots? A week is OK?

Question three:

Where can I order Tmax 100 Readyload BW films?

I am very new to the LF and have learned a lot from here. Thanks you in advance.

Re: Acadia national park

1. Early October would probably be OK, but you should understand that the color changes happens when nature says it should happen, and not according to any hard schedule. Seasonal rainfall, sunlight, and temperature are all factors, and case the timing to vary from one year to the next. The ideal arrangement would be to have the flexibility to adjust your schedule based on actual reports of what is happening this year, and then make contact with someone in the area who can send you a report every few days. That way, you can time your arrival for the best color. Also, you should understand that a patch of bad weather (rain and wind) can transform beautifully colored trees into bare twigs with lots of leaves on the ground in a matter of hours.

2. How much time do you think you will need? How may "spots" do you intend to cover, and what do you expect to do in each one? You could spend a month there, or you could pretty much cover everything you want in a few hours. If the weather conditions are perfect, I would think that you would want a minimum of 2-3 days Several years ago, my wife and I were there for a day and did pretty much everything that we wanted to do.

While Acadia National Park occupies a sizable number of acres of land, the actual number of "spots" is fairly limited, so unless you plan to rough it and spend a lot of time just hiking in search of things that appeal to you, you might not need as much time as you think. There is a road that circles the park, and all of the major "spots" can be touched from this road in a few hours. Seems to me that what you should do is spend some time on the Acadia NP web site cataloging the "spots" you want to visit, and work out a budget for the time you will require to cover them all.

3. B&H, Freestyle, Adorama, Calumet to name a few.

Good advice Louie gave. I would add Badger Graphic as another film source.

http://www.photographamerica.com/issue13.htm

This particular newsletter was originally written in 1991 and revised in 2005.

I have a nice shot of a lighthouse in the fog from Acadia. I took it on 35mm. I would like to visit the park again and recapture that magic shot on large format and print it big.

I was there during late summer about 18 years ago. I remember being surprised by the fog being there every morning; it didn't burn off until almost noon. That might restrict your shooting opportunities.

I was there in Acadia National Park just last week! I should tell you that this is not the best time to visit the park due to the summer crowds. However, I think October may be too late for the peak foliage colors, depending on when you go. I suggest following the reports posted in the Foliage Network's website for an idea of the progression of the foliage colors and leaf drop. They start posting reports from the beginning of September, and post two reports every week. As Louie mentioned, the colors depend on a lot of factors and cannot be predicted. With proper research and a bit of luck, you should be able to capture some lovely colors.

As far as "spots" are concerned, Louie has said it very well. I would add that you should also visit the less-frequented section of the park that is on the Schoodic Peninsula. It is quite small but very beautiful. Also, if you are interested, you could visit and photograph some of the small fishing villages on this section of the Maine coast - Corea is one such place that immediately comes to mind.

Good luck with your planning, and your trip!

Best wishes,
    Sanjay

If you are flying into Portland, ME and driving from there you might be able to pick up at the Hunt's store in Portland. Portland is not the nearest airport but it is the one to which there is the most service from other major airports.

Louie is right about the weather but the first week in October is often a good bet for the best fall color. We are running our workshop in Northern New Hampshire that weekend this year. This year is going to be a tough call. Looking at the trees now in Central and Northern NH, VT and ME I would not be surprised by a somewhat early turning meaning that, as far North as Acadia the first week in October could be a decent bet if you need to plan this far in advance. Also remember that Fall Foliage is a major event throughout Northern New England and accommodations go early. Many of the B&B's in my neck of the woods are already full up for most fall weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    <snip> I was there during late summer about 18 years ago. I remember being surprised by the fog being there every morning; it didn't burn off until almost noon. That might restrict your shooting opportunities.
    Quite right! I was there on Friday afternoon at about two o'clock and the Bass Harbor lighthouse was shrouded in fog! I got a few shots of it with my wife's digi P&S. It looked really nice!

Best wishes,
    Sanjay

One other point - Coastal Maine is a great place for large format photography. One of the best kept secrets (until now, of course) is Fort Knox in Bucksport. Bucksport is less than an hour south of Acadia, and this fort is in absolutely perfect condition. And in the Fall (when the kids are back in school), there should be even fewer tourists than in the peak of summer when there aren't very many.

There is actually a string of forts along the coast in that area. They are easily accessible and I found them interesting. Here is from a 5x7 negative.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!