Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hotels/Motels around Yosemite

Re: Hotels/Motels around Yosemite

I've stayed at the Yosemite Lodge by myself, but with the wife, I've also stayed in a cabin rented from "The Redwoods in Yosemite." These are 130 cabins, primarily in the Wawona area.

http://www.redwoodsinyosemite.com/

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com

Quote Originally Posted by J D Clark View Post
    I've stayed at the Yosemite Lodge by myself, but with the wife, I've also stayed in a cabin rented from "The Redwoods in Yosemite." These are 130 cabins, primarily in the Wawona area.

http://www.redwoodsinyosemite.com/

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com
    I'd forgotten about The Redwoods. There are also condos at Yosemite West, not too far away---both are with easy strikng distance of Glacier Point but neither are in the Valley. I'd opt for the Yosemite Lodge or one of the rooms at Curry (again, after Sept. 1st!) If you'd like to try a "civilized" camp experience look into the Housekeeping Camp---communal flush plumbing & showers, tent cabins with cement floors and beds with institutional mattresses and electrical outlets (bring your own ---gasp--- portable tv if you insist---I don't know if you'll get any reception though) and campfire rings. What it lacks is more than made up if you nab a river unit on the banks of the Merced (which is a mere trickle right now) Still, its an absolutely glorous sight first thing in the morning. The tent cabins at Curry are more "tenty" but no campfires and a long way from the river. Your bride might prefer the "real" rooms at Curry and Yosemite Lodge better, but reservations are most likely neccesary even after the summer high season.

If you really want to $poil her, the Ahwanee offers Chiefs and Vintners Holidays---weekends of gourmet cooking and fine wines to keep her busy while you're off shooting pix.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

If you plan to shoot primarily in the valley, it is worth staying in the valley. Otherwise, the drive in and out can be a bit tedious. The Yosemite Lodge is reasonably priced for what you get and as stated above, Curry Village offers lower priced alternatives. I like staying in the campgrounds in the off season, but would avoid them like the plague during summer.

One of the problems has been getting a reservation in the park facilities other than months in advance, depending on the season. If you get shut out of the places mentioned, try the town of Mariposa, down river from El Portal. We stayed there several years ago [ summer season] when not only were the park facilities closed but the entry gates were closed by late morning to avoid overcrowding the park

If you really want to $poil her, the Ahwanee offers Chiefs and Vintners Holidays---weekends of gourmet cooking and fine wines to keep her busy while you're off shooting pix.
    True, John, but a bit later in the year. Vintners is Sundays-Thursdays in November/December. Chefs is Sundays-Thursdays in January/February.

One of the problems has been getting a reservation in the park facilities other than months in advance, depending on the season.
    Ed's correct. The park accommodations are typically sold out 365 days in advance on weekends and holidays. The quiet season is November through March. But, most cancellations occur 30 days out, two weeks out, and one week in advance of arrival. So it is possible to find something, especially if your travel plans are flexible.

Mariposa is a cute town, and the foothills between it and Merced can be quite pretty. It is an hour drive from Yosemite Valley (albeit a pretty drive up the Merced River Canyon.