Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Lenses! Post your pics done with some real mud suckers here:

Re: Cheap Lenses! Post your pics done with some real mud suckers here:

I got this one for free from a camera store.... Schneider Symmar 135mm convertible in compur. This probably falls into the range of the higher class semi-mudsuckers though.
    Robert Oliver

This is from a Bausch & Lomb 12" projection lens that I bought off some guy in Nevada that is hording all of the world's cool lenses for himself....
    Robert Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bose View Post
    Dan,
    I agree with your 'undervalued' comment. My point is that almost any lens in the hands of someone who's skilled in the art of making photographs can result in a beautiful image.

I love the look of old lenses, it gives their resultant images a 'glow' or a pleasing character. I just wish that I had half of Jim's skill in finding this beauties !!
    Ron, I couldn't agree more strongly with your first point. In most situations, especially with formats larger than 35 mm, the photographer's vision is much more important than his equipment.

I don't agree that much with your second, on the "look" of old lenses. By and large I can't see it. But then my most ancient lenses are f/6.3 tessars, the oldest from 1912, and Aldis Unos. These and a 1940 203/7.7 Kodak Anastigmat excepted, all of my lenses are post-WWII. Maybe if I tried really old lenses I'd see a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    A page with my formula for APHS is embedded in this web page.

BTW the second picture on that page is done on 8X10 with a $56 210mm Goerz Dagor. I think that qualifies as a mud sucker.
    Thanks Jim, I will give it a try.
    Jim

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    I got this one for free from a camera store.... Schneider Symmar 135mm convertible in compur. This probably falls into the range of the higher class semi-mudsuckers though.
    I picked up the same lens for free, from someone who was getting rid of a beat-up old Calumet 4x5. I used the lens a few times so far (just got it) and it seems to be good! the front glass has odd streaks on it, like some sort of coating has been rubbed off (or applied ) it takes decent pictures though! I haven't tried it with out the front lens off, which actually might be a good idea to try because the front element is the worst looking of the bunch! the others look clear accept for the very edge of the glass. Can't really see it in the photographs though, as far as I can tell anyway. Actually, you can't even see much wrong with the glass in the photo of the lens itself either. But against the light it's got some odd swirls and 'oily' look to it.

Seems to be fairly sharp, even wide open. The f22 version got some flare up in the right hand corner, but that might have been due to branches moving in the wind that blocked the light from the lens in the first shot. Have to shoot with it some more!

wide open at 5.6

wide then again at F22

i can not remember where i go tthis old 12" projection lens from. it was either free or very close to free.

here

eddie

ps. how do i load a picture so it shows up in the thread?
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    i can not remember where i go tthis old 12" projection lens from. it was either free or very close to free.

eddie

ps. how do i load a picture so it shows up in the thread?
    Eddie, that is a great shot. You can load them by going below the reply box where it says manage attachments. Click there and it will get you to a box where you can browse for the file in your computer. Upload them as an attachment.

Well this was shot with an old Rapid Rectilinear rescued from an old rotting Kodak Autographic roll film folder. Cost nothing. I mounted it on a board for my Super Graphic. Shot on Forte 200, processed in HC-110b. Scanned from negative.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    ... an old Rapid Rectilinear rescued from an old rotting Kodak Autographic roll film folder. Cost nothing. ...
    Me 2. Mine is B&L RR in a Kodak shutter. Once shutter was cleaned and lubed it runs like a Swiss watch (well, like a Rochester clock, maybe). Myy shutter realease needs refinement - at the moment it consists of a baby nose sucking bulb and a piece of automotive vacuum hose - a real ugly set up but one that works. I can't post picture due to scanner currently disconnected, but I have many great shots from this lens.

Also having great success with a Kodak Anastigmatic in dial-Compur that came with a 1940 Anniversary Graphic. Also an old Gundlach Radar, courtesy of a very nice chap on this forum!

Now this is is my kinda thread!
    Heres one taken with a 135mm componon mounted in a Tempor shutter from a folder.