Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photogravure?

Photogravure?

OK so who does photogravure or photoetching around here? I need advice re: printing presses

Question 1: how can I get a 400lb printing press up three flights of stairs?

Question 2 : will a 400lb printing press fall through my apartment floor and onto my downstair neighbor's head? I'm concernd about the press being damaged.

Re: Photogravure?

A few people on hybridphoto.com are doing polymer photogravure. Check out this thread--

http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    OK so who does photogravure or photoetching around here? I need advice re: printing presses

Question 1: how can I get a 400lb printing press up three flights of stairs?

Question 2 : will a 400lb printing press fall through my apartment floor and onto my downstair neighbor's head? I'm concernd about the press being damaged.

#1 one step at a time?

#2 are you allowed a water bed? 50gallons of water is about 400lbs I think.

Oh how cool, I think this is one of the nicest printing methods I know of!! Depending on your building, you can either get a few friends together to help move it upstairs, or perhaps look into a pulley system (from roof) to get it through a window. 400lbs will not go through your floor....even with a 5inch square footprint it should be safe. If there's even a possibility of your floor not taking it, you should be investing your $$$ in a new structure instead of arsing around with a press.

I've been considering taking a class on this...we'll see.

--A

I don't think you need to worry about damaging the press if it falls and hits your downstairs neighbor. His head should adequately cushion the blow so that any damage to the press would be minimal. The real problem is that you'd have to haul the press back up the stairs again.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I don't think you need to worry about damaging the press if it falls and hits your downstairs neighbor. His head should adequately cushion the blow so that any damage to the press would be minimal. The real problem is that you'd have to haul the press back up the stairs again.
    You quite clearly don't have the same neighbors I used to have.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Abuser of God's Sunlight

my teacher used to make photogravures. he gave it up because it was insanely difficult ... weeks to get a single print. he thought it was just about the most beautiful process he'd used, though.

I've done some photogravure using polymer or "solar plates" and also with transfering the photographic image onto a copper plate then aqua tint it then submerse it into the ferric acid bath. I simply love the prints that I produce from these techniques! Next time I will develop my 11x14 film into positive to use it with solar plate for printing. I like the fact that the print will last for 500 years!

Terence

If your place is new construction, the floors should be good for 50 lbs/square foot of live load (things that move around such as furniture, etc, not walls, floors, etc.). So, assuming you can spread the load out a bit by placing it on a couple of 2x4's and plywood, you should be fine.

If it is old Hoboken construction (which I'm guessing it is if you're a walk-up), it's probably close to the same capacity as building codes have changed much since the 191x's. But chances are the floors will deflect a lot more, so shimming it will be a pain in the arse.

Not sure how much these things move when operating, but if it's much at all, and if it affects the output's quality, this will be a problem on a residential floor. They just aren't very good at minimizing movement. They're not designed for it.

And yes, I am a licensed structural engineer, but in NY, not NJ.

Paul Taylor of Renaissance Press http://www.renaissancepress.com/ he does Photogravure printing.