Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing exposed 4x5 sheets ?

Storing exposed 4x5 sheets ?

Hi I am going for a trip soon and for the first time would need to be able to stored exposed sheets somewhere else then in the film holders themselves as I do not have too many. I was wondering how others do this.

One possibility that I know of is to use the sealing envelope and boxes in which the film was bought. Usable envelope WILL be the one from Ilford fp4 (nicely shaped and long) as the other were Kodak and are much less usable - so I am looking for another option ... or is there anybody having a few epmty film envelopes ?

Also - I will be sending my films to the lab (up to know there was a local lab so I just took my filmholders there) and would prefere not to send the holders themselves (heavy, fragile, expensive shipping).

thanks
    Matus

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Storing exposed 4x5 sheets ?

I use old film boxes (3-part). I've been saving them over the years. Ask your lab or local pro photographers if they have any they can give you. They once were easy to get but now a bit more difficult. Be persistant and ask around. When you send your film to the lab ask for your boxes back!

thanks Brian - do you use the boxes only or you put the film inside the plasitc envelope as well. I do have a few boxes with th inserts but I am wondering wheter that is enough.
    Matus

Matus -

I also use old film boxes. I have one labeled "N", one "N-1", and an "N+1". I rarely go more than one stop on either side of normal.

Normally, I just put the film in the box. But if I am traveling by air, I let my film go through the normal carry-on inspection and don't request any special treatment. In that case, I put it in the black plastic envelope first so that there is one additional layer of protection in the event an inspector gets carried away in doing his security checks.

I also carry along a roll of that blue "painters' tape", and wrap a strip around the box prior to actually getting on the plane. The purpose of that is to slow down the process of opening boxes so that the hopefully someone will notice the label with the large red notice saying "DO NOT OPEN".

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    thanks Brian - do you use the boxes only or you put the film inside the plasitc envelope as well. I do have a few boxes with th inserts but I am wondering wheter that is enough.
    I just use the box and the little cardboard insert. I have my lab trained to return the box and packaging (which, I suppose they would do without me nagging them about it). I write my name and address on the outside of the box in big black letters...

I like the idea above about having separate boxes for N, N+1 and N-1...will have to give that a go.

3d Visual Effects artist

Do you guys just put the sheets in the box loosely? It seems like that might scratch the film a bit? I have been wondering this as well, as I have been wanting to start shooting color film, and I would probably shoot and store them until I have a nice bunch to send off for developing.

I too put 4x5 in the old boxes, loosely I might add, and not a scratch yet. Works great. Keep them labeled, I have enough boxes that whatever film I use say TMY I put it in a Tmy box so there is no confusion about processing.

3d Visual Effects artist

I assume you put them emulsion up?

umop episdn

I use a small (empty 25-sheet) three-piece box for sending color film to the lab. I also have my name and address on the outside of the box with a note asking of its return. I just sandwich the sheets of film between two sheets of cardboard (that came with the film) and put two squishy foam packing peanuts inside the box on top of the cardboard to keep the film from rattling around. S'ok so far.

I use one empty film box for 4x5 and one box for 8x10. All my different N's go in one box. They are in order according to my exposure record form. The notches are kept on the top right. So the sheet on the bottom (when notch is top right) is the first exposure. The stack of negs is kept inside the card board folder which comes in Ilford boxes, and that is then slipped inside the black plastic sleave (which also came with the film). I've been doing it this way for years and eliminates the need for lots of boxes for different N's.