Thread: Lessons learned from a shoot gone wierd (part 2)

Lessons learned from a shoot gone wierd (part 2)

Parked off on the side of Hwy 120 I pulled out my grandpa Ries, its a Los Angeles built model no longer being made and had apparently seen service in the movie industry in the 1920's. When I went to plant the legs in the ground I felt something bounce off my knee---it must have been a locking washer that held one leg's pivot pin in place and it was lost in the roadside gravel! Fortunately the bosses are threaded so I could still tighten the leg securely in position, but after shooting I eyeballed the old tripod more carefully and found that the grain on one of the legs had began raising and splintering apart This was on one side of the wood that I wouldn't have normally seen.

Fortunately I have another, newer, lighter Ries at home which I use for hiking & sking so while grasndpa Ries is in for repairs I won't be out of LF "action" but the lesson I learned is to inspect my gear more often--and more thoroughly---especially if you're using old antique stuff (and being a photography gear 'bottom feeder'most all my gear is old, antique stuff! ) Having a 'back up" (or a roll of duct tape) available is also a good plan.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Lessons learned from a shoot gone wierd (part 2)

Next time you get on my side of the Sierra's give me a holler. Between the 2 of us we could have an antiques road show of camera junk. I can just see the skid marks on old 120. Did you get some grub at the Whoa Nellie Deli down at the Mobil?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Next time you get on my side of the Sierra's give me a holler. Between the 2 of us we could have an antiques road show of camera junk. I can just see the skid marks on old 120. Did you get some grub at the Whoa Nellie Deli down at the Mobil?
    Jim,

Sounds like fun! I did have lunch at the Whoa Nellie Deli---yummy!

Skid marks on old 120? LOL! You mean some people driving on 120 may actually have some brakes left? IMHO Driver Ed instructors ought to start the lecture on gearing down with an alarm clock going off
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Scott Davis

Whoa Nellie Deli is terrific! Who'd have ever thought food that good would be served inside a Mobil station? Their pizzas are to die for.

Not to mention the trapeze overlooking Mono Lake!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Not to mention the trapeze overlooking Mono Lake!
    Filet mignon, good wine, and a flying trapeze. It just doesn't get any better than that.