Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing the Cog on Jobo Lid

Removing the Cog on Jobo Lid

I have a couple of the 2500 series lids and would like to remove the cog.

Is this possible?

Re: Removing the Cog on Jobo Lid

I just checked the jobo site.

These cannot be removed.

So I have two lids for sale or trade.

I am looking for lids without the cog.

Slight disagreement with Jobo. They can be removed, but they (the cogs) will be destroyed in their removal. You can saw (straight edge saw much like a wallboard hole saw that electricians use) through the cog using the hole until the material is thin, then twist (and finally breaking) the cog out (use gloves when doing this).
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Quote Originally Posted by davidbram View Post
    I have a couple of the 2500 series lids and would like to remove the cog.

Is this possible?
    I'm curious why you want to remove it?

I believer Jorge mentioned doing this once here..
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...jorge+cog+jobo
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

They can be removed; I just converted 2 from cog to magnet top. You just take a pair of pliers and pry them really hard, and they will pop off.

Post Re: Removing the Cog on Jobo Lid

Just did it on 1500 series drum.
    It's easy and you can do it the following way:
    1 - take a small bowl where you can put your tank lid with funnel insert removed
    2 - fill it wit boiling water up to the level where the cog lid enters the tank lid.
    3 - let it sit, warm up and loosen the grip on the cog lid for 2-3 minutes.
    4 - take the tank lid from the bowl and put it on top of some cylinder (I used a wine bottle, but don't do it at home, bottle can slip and you can get injured) pushing on top of a cilinder which can push only the cog lid from inside.
    5 - apply the pressure to the tank lid so that the cilinder will push the cog lid out.

The lid plastic sitting in hot water will get warm, will soften and lose grip on cog lid. That is the reason to fill the water so it will contact only with tank lid and cog lid remains almost the same temperature.

I bought the jobo tank with cog lid, now for around $5 I got new replacement cap for tank lid and can easily use tank for inversion processing as well.

Having tried and failed with the CatLabs instructions on YouTube, allow me to say a huge thankyou for posting this method, which I can confirm works beautifully and with minimal fuss.
    I just did this with the 2-series drum lid, switching the cog tops from a couple of new 1500 drums over onto two standard lids. These were all new, so tightly seated.

Observations about the above guidance:

Obviously you need to sit the lid upside down in the water, with the cog down at the bottom of the bowl; I sat the top in the water for about 3-4 minutes (it's cold here!);

To pop off the cog top, I used a vinegar bottle, with lid still on - the kind with a metal screw cap slighly smaller in diameter than a standard wine bottle screwtop. Put bottle on kitchen floor, apply modicum of downwards bodyweight pressure through hands placed on lower sides of main lid, cog top pops off.

To apply cog top to new drum, here's what I did. Place drum with lid attached, or lid by itself, with cog top in position, on top of a suitable hardback book on kitchen floor, to provide stable but clean base. Place second clean, but weighty, hardback book - I used 2 cooking books at hand! - on top of cog top. Grab both sides of top book and apply steady downwards pressure with body weight. Cog top snaps nicely into position!

Saved me £40: just wished I'd read this yesterday - would also have saved me a frustrating hour faffing about. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by mihalich View Post
    Just did it on 1500 series drum.
    It's easy and you can do it the following way:
    1 - take a small bowl where you can put your tank lid with funnel insert removed
    2 - fill it wit boiling water up to the level where the cog lid enters the tank lid.
    3 - let it sit, warm up and loosen the grip on the cog lid for 2-3 minutes.
    4 - take the tank lid from the bowl and put it on top of some cylinder (I used a wine bottle, but don't do it at home, bottle can slip and you can get injured) pushing on top of a cilinder which can push only the cog lid from inside.
    5 - apply the pressure to the tank lid so that the cilinder will push the cog lid out.

The lid plastic sitting in hot water will get warm, will soften and lose grip on cog lid. That is the reason to fill the water so it will contact only with tank lid and cog lid remains almost the same temperature.

I bought the jobo tank with cog lid, now for around $5 I got new replacement cap for tank lid and can easily use tank for inversion processing as well.
    Last edited by DaveF; 3-Dec-2017 at 08:56. Reason: Deleted inaccurate info
    http://www.davidfearnphotography.co.uk
    see too my 5x4 and 8x10 flickr albums

Why do tou want to remove it?

The cog lid has nothing to do with the magnet drive.
    The magnet mounts to the base of the drum, not to the lid.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

If one wanted to do inversion manual processing, you need the snap on lid which means removing the cog. I keep non cog lids for this purpose.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...