Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Indian camera makers?

Re: Indian camera makers?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    1/2 plate book holders in delicious mahogany are very available on that auction site. Just at the moment, as well!
    True, I just had a good look-over on them but the sizes I'm looking for seem off-standard.

The Vageeswari HP holders externally measure: 16.1 x 21.3 x 2.4 cms, and grooves are 4mm. So, in inches that's approx 6.3 x 8.4 x 0.9 inches, and 1/16th groove.

Do these numbers ring a bell with anyone? I'm kinda hoping the Vageeswari people copied their camera from another brand and stuck to sizes...

Book holder plates are very easy to adapt as mahogany is easy to work. And brass fitments screw off easily - and on again! Just get a set of holders which is slightly larger than your ideal size if you get stuck!
    The sizes you give are within 2mm of my own book holders for a German 13x18cm camera!

12 x 16.5 is a Japanese kabine format
    http://camerapedia.org/wiki/Kabine

Can anyone tell me what an acceptable price for a Vageeswari 8.5x15 would be? Also, an 11x14? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    Can anyone tell me what an acceptable price for a Vageeswari 8.5x15 would be? Also, an 11x14? Thank you.
    For the seller or the buyer?

I paid $130 for my 8.5 x15 and $76 for my 6.5x 15 and then paid another $75 each for one holder for each camera. That was an ebay auction in november 2008.

Given the completely non-standard nature of the cameras I think $400 with a holder is about tops for a 8.5x15 camera that needs no work. If you have the option to buy more holders that would be better still. The 11x14 might be a different case since you could theoretically adapt it to use standard size film (and with more work) in standard holders.

You paid $130!? How the hell did you do that? There's a guy in the UK selling one for $800. Guess I'll have to pass on it.

Can't be 100% sure but I think those two cameras have been listed on ebay for quite a long time, perhaps under a different name the Ultra-Large-Format-Camera-Shop now closed.

I asked a seller of an unrelated item if he was open to offers, an item that's been listed for perhaps a year and rather overpriced and I had a reply that it only costs 4p ($0.07) a month to list it so Ebay is a very cheap shop front

Ian

Hmm, well does anyone here have one they'd be interested in selling for a more reasonable and less greedy price?

Camera fairs are a good place to start looking, but these cameras aren't that common outside the Indian sub continent. I noticed the same seller has/had a 6"x15" Vageeswari listed about 6 weeks ago that went unsold at the time. That ties in with what I looked at a couple of years ago.

With no film holders the cameras are not very practical, I did consider buying one.

Ian

I actually bid on both at the same time, hoping to get one of them and ended up with both. They came directly from India which may have put some people off. The 6.5x15 has the same size bellows and back as the 8.5x15, kind of like a 4x10 format adapter on an 8x10 camera except that it is permanent. The lensboards are a slightly different size however. I think $800 is way too much for an antiquated design in a weird format, but maybe I'm just a cheapskate.