Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian camera makers?

Re: Indian camera makers?

Hi all, happy to have found this thread.

Two days back I bought a Vageeswari 5x7, this one:

It's my first true LF camera. I've been doing 6x9 for some time and wanted to move up. Some day, I wanna be as good as Uncle Earl.

It's a fully hardwood camera, all metal parts are nickel plated, knobs are aluminium, original and all accounted for.

I plan to mount a Symmar 210/5.6 to the Copal #1 mount.

I'm looking for any film holders that will fit this camera, here's what they look like:

Anybody that can help me out?

Cheers,
    Johan

neophyte

Degree of bad news for you here: this is a plate camera. Options are
    1. convert camera back to use regular film holders
    2. use the plate holder you have into which you need to put in a sheath or similar to bring the plane of focus on the ground glass into the same relationship as the film. (film being way thinner than a glass plate so sitting too far back in the holder for the plane of focus on the GG to be correct for the film)

I have one of these that I am planning to do #1 to to use as a lightweight 5x7. You will also have to do something to the undercarriage if you dont have one of the vintage tripods that slots into the nice nickel fittings. Also on my todo list.
    "In the field of observation chance favours the prepared mind" -- Pasteur

Quote Originally Posted by Scott -- View Post
    Hi, all -

I'm looking at buying an Indian-made camera by Vageeswari Camera Works. Google turns up nothing on this maker, and I'm having trouble finding info on any makers from India at all.

Anyone have any info on the camera makers there, oh, a hundred years ago or so?

Scott

Hi Scott (and those who have since joind in on this post)

fwiw (and as you may now know), there's an ebay seller based in Louth Lincolnshire, here in the UK who appears to have a supply of these Vageeswari cameras, imo his posts are interesting as he can also supply accessories, such as replacement parts for the old style plate/film book holders

hope that this helps

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    Hi Scott (and those who have since joind in on this post)

fwiw (and as you may now know), there's an ebay seller based in Louth Lincolnshire, here in the UK who appears to have a supply of these Vageeswari cameras, imo his posts are interesting as he can also supply accessories, such as replacement parts for the old style plate/film book holders

hope that this helps

andrew

fyi, the guy in the UK that I mentioned sells under the name of 'photolud'

hopefully I'm not in breach of any forum rule in mentioning this - he doesn't have any cameras for sale at this time, so I'm not linking this post up to that sort of thing and fwiw, have no personal knowledge nor any relationship of him/with him

hope that this also helps

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by buzzardkid View Post
    Hi all, happy to have found this thread.

Two days back I bought a Vageeswari 5x7, this one:

It's my first true LF camera. I've been doing 6x9 for some time and wanted to move up. Some day, I wanna be as good as Uncle Earl.

It's a fully hardwood camera, all metal parts are nickel plated, knobs are aluminium, original and all accounted for.

I plan to mount a Symmar 210/5.6 to the Copal #1 mount.

I'm looking for any film holders that will fit this camera, here's what they look like:

Anybody that can help me out?

Cheers,
    Johan

hello Johan, nice camera

the guy that I've just mentioned may also be able to help you out - what I've found with these book film holders (and I'm very happy to be corrected) is that a same sized holder rarely fits/slots into the back of the camera that one already owns - it can be a pretty frustrating business - if you're lucky, modern 5x7 filmholders may be able to slide in and loading these is far easier than playing around with the old style holders

good luck

andrew

Thanks Andrew and Brian for your responses.

I dropped mr. photolud a line and truly hope he gets back to me on the issue.

Dumb-@55 question: would it not suffice to leave a sheet of glass in the holder semi-attached permanently, load the film in front of it and drop the GG further in for the same depth as the negative thickness? This would possibly only require some thin clips or rails to grab both glass and sheet film, if not yet present.

Regarding the tripod: the auction had a complementary tripod listed for only USD 75 and a bit extra on shipping. From the seller I got that the tripod will be new and made to fit.

neophyte

would it not suffice to leave a sheet of glass in the holder semi-attached permanently, load the film in front of it and drop the GG further in for the same depth as the negative thickness?.
    Essentially anything that will mean than the point of focus on the GG matches the point of focus on the emulsion will work.

see this thread for some creative ideas http://www.apug.org/forums/forum192/...ss-holder.html
    "In the field of observation chance favours the prepared mind" -- Pasteur

I got back to the auction shots and had another close look.

With a GG construction like this, it shouldn't be too hard to rig up some custom-made sheetfilm holders, I reckon:

This is it from the side:

I plan to:
    • start out with a single layer of plywood and cut it to size to fit the grooves.
    • Thicken it up with more layers of plywood, possibly interlaced with thick black paper to reach accurate thickness
    • save a slot for a metal sheet to work as a dark slide
    • Save enough space in the last layer to position the sheet film
    • Use a glass plate as a pressure plate
    • Fit a back door with either hinges or metal tabs swinging into place

Does this sound like a viable plan? Am I missing something?

EDIT: If all else fails, I will stick to the honey

Thanks Andrew and Brian for your responses.

I dropped mr. photolud a line and truly hope he gets back to me on the issue.

Dumb-@55 question: would it not suffice to leave a sheet of glass in the holder semi-attached permanently, load the film in front of it and drop the GG further in for the same depth as the negative thickness? This would possibly only require some thin clips or rails to grab both glass and sheet film, if not yet present.

Regarding the tripod: the auction had a complementary tripod listed for only USD 75 and a bit extra on shipping. From the seller I got that the tripod will be new and made to fit.

thx Johan - glad to help, that looks to be a really decent quality replacement bellows too

andrew

The old-style tripods consisting of three separate legs that snap into place on the base turntable are not only quite awkward to use but have resulted in many broken cameras and lenses. It is easy to kick one of the legs out from under.

A much better arrangement is a plate that fits into the turntable and allows a standard head to be mounted on top. Maybe photolud can supply one, but if not they are not a very difficult job for a wood or metal worker to make up.