Thread: Best Settings for Epson ABW mode

Best Settings for Epson ABW mode

Quick Question. When using epson's advanced black and white (ABW) mode on the 2400, and printing through photoshop CS3, what should I choose for color management in PHOTOSHOP's print dialog box? I have read that I should choose NO COLOR MANAGEMENT, but I have also heard that I should choose PRINTER MANAGES COLORS. I am not sure if both of these options are available on earlier versions of Photoshop, or what the difference is. My understanding is that people have said to choose NO COLOR MANAGEMENT so that photoshop does not interfere with the printer driver, but it seems to me that the PRINTER MANAGES COLORS options is supposed to do the same thing. One difference is that when NO COLOR MANAGEMENT is selected, all options are "grayed out", but when PRINTER MANAGES COLORS is selected, you can change the rendering intent, but everything else is "grayed out". I printed the same photo with the same ABW settings trying one with the NO COLOR MANAGEMENT setting and one with the PRINTER MANAGES COLORS setting and there is a difference. The PRINTER MANAGES COLORS print was darker than the NO COLOR MANAGEMENT one. Is there anyone who can explain the difference between these two and why I should use one over the other? They both work, so to speak, but it would be nice to know what is happening.

Re: Best Settings for Epson ABW mode

As an overview. I don't have a 2400 in front of me at the moment, but I have used them with my students allot. But I can't remember the settings off hand. Basically you want the printer to honor the soft proofing you did in PS. This means that you do not want the printer to manage the color. Maybe someone else with that printer can chime in with the settings.This may be of some help. Again I don't have a setup in front of me.

http://www.udel.edu/cookbook/scan-pr...W-printing.pdf
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Not sure what the correct answer is, but I have printed the same image using No Color Mgmt and Let Printer Control Color and I could not tell the difference.

Here's a link filled with multitudinous cool info for the Epson 3800. I'm sure you can find the answer to your question as well as many others there. Make sure to check out the FAQ near the end of the page...this is probably the most informative collection of 3800 info online, and many of these items will apply to the 2400 as well.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan...800/index.html

Not sure it answers your question (for ABW print from greyscale and I then use let Printer Determine Color Settings etc - whioch is the opposite of what I do for colour)

But there is lots of other info on ABW here:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printing....html#20070103
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Goldman View Post
    Not sure what the correct answer is, but I have printed the same image using No Color Mgmt and Let Printer Control Color and I could not tell the difference.
    Same here no difference with 4800.