Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mount Rainier Wildflower Bloom...

Re: Mount Rainier Wildflower Bloom...

Beware the marmots, they have been known to carry away small children and pets for food!
    -- Ben Chase

Ben's right. And the fumes from marmot urine have been known to fog the glues in old lenses, melt the coatings on new ones, and add the equivalent of a 3 second argon light pre-exposure to most B&W films.

In their defence though, they will "almost" stand still long enough to get a LF shot of them. I think the sound of a darkslide being pulled must scare the hell out of them. I think it's fun to tell people that arn't from the area that they are rats that have been exposed to radiation from under the mountain.

Here is what was there the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by John Berry View Post
    In their defence though, they will "almost" stand still long enough to get a LF shot of them. I think the sound of a darkslide being pulled must scare the hell out of them. I think it's fun to tell people that arn't from the area that they are rats that have been exposed to radiation from under the mountain.
    I made my younger brother mortally terrified of them as a young child after telling him that they would eat him in his sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by John Berry View Post
    In their defence though, they will "almost" stand still long enough to get a LF shot of them.
    Thanks for reminding me. A few years ago coming home from a day hike, I had just left Longmire when I spotted a LF photographer alongside the road. He had everything set up and was holding a big wind break while controlling the shutter release. The subject was a single, large wildflower in bloom.

I drove past and parked, and walked back to see if he wanted help. After all he was trying to photograph a wildflower on a windy day alongside the highway. Anyway, his wife wrote biology text books and he helped with the photographs (always LF). After a few minutes he said that after 12 exposures he's not sure what he got, and packed up. He said his wife will just have to do with what he got.

So it was a reminder in LF, things can always be worse, like trying to photograph a wildflower alongside a busy highway on a windy day.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean