Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss Rail Choices

Arca Swiss Rail Choices

So I've finally gotten myself a Arca Swiss 4x5 Field (110-141). It arrives via UPS tomorrow - I can't wait!

I am exploring my options for what configuration I would like for the rail. The camera is coming with the standard 30cm folding rail and 8.5cm extension bracket clamp. However, to use my 300mm lens I'm going to need a longer rail. I understand that the 15cm extension rail segment is what most people use with their Arca Field. Right now I do have a 25cm extension rail segment that I picked up separately. However this is longer than I need since I don't plan on getting the long bellows or shooting anything longer than 300mm, and I'd prefer not to carry unnecessary weight/bulk.

So my two choices seem to be:

1) Exchange/trade/sell my 25cm extension rail for a 15cm extension rail to use with the 30cm folding rail.

2) Exchange/trade/sell my 30cm folding rail and 25cm extension rail in favor of the 30cm telescoping rail.

I know that option #2 would allow me to keep the standards on one short 15cm rail segment in the pack and keep the 30cm extension bracket and other 15cm rail segment on the tripod. I do still have a few questions though...

Are there any other advantages/disadvantages that I'm overlooking? Any stability differences? Does anyone know the weight difference between the two options? (I couldn't find it in the old camera weight thread)

Finally - is there anyone out there interested in exploring a possible trade? (depending on what's recommended)

Thanks!

Re: Arca Swiss Rail Choices

Hi Sheldon,

I have and regularly use both 30cm folding rail and the 25cm extension rail (II) with my 6x9 Arca. Since 4x5 Field and 6x9 use the same components, except a different rear standard and different bellows, my observations should still be valid for a 4x5.

1. I'm not sure how much weight or volume savings you will get by switching from 25cm to 15cm extension rail. The effective length of the 30cm + 15cm assembly is about 40cm (400mm). Also, if you need to use a longer lens in future, such as a 450mm or 480mm, the 25cm extension rail would be required.

2. I would like to know what you would gain by switching from folding rail to a telescoping one. When I store the camera for transportation in a backpack, I always keep it mounted on the folded rail. I move both the camera standards to front section of the 30cm rail, fold the rail into half (15cm) and put the whole thing into the backpack. It takes less than 30 seconds (literally) to pull the camera out, unfold the rail, secure the two halves of the rail together with the end-screw and slide the rail into the bracket already attached to the tripod head, ready to compose/focus/shoot. If you see any advantage of using the telescoping rail over the folding rail, I would love to know.

Before I bought the extension rail, I too was concerned about the rigidity of the combined assembly of the three rail sections - two from the folding rail and one from the extension rail. But I'm very impressed by the Arca engineering! The whole assembly is rock solid.

// Atul

Congratulations, Sheldon
    I have almost exactly the same configuration as yours and I have the 15cm extension rail.
    The difference in weight & size between the 15cm and the 25 cm extension rail does not justify, IMHO, that you take any action before having actually used the equipement.
    So my recommendation would be thet you start using the camera & accessories extensively, that you carefully build you lens kit and that you define your arrangement to carry the equipement as you like it.
    Eventually when you'll find some limitations, you can start thinking about using another rail, but remember that the standard leather bellows, although extremely felxible, should not be reasonably extended beyond, say, an Apo Ronar of 300 mm of focal length or a tele of 400 mm of focal length (the tele has a much shorter bellows draw)
    So the actual limitations of your equipment will come from the lens kit and the bellows, do not consider any rail kit with more than 35 cm of length without considering to purchase the long synthetic 110-141 bellows !

Another point : do resist temptation to manipulate the extension rail clamp when the extension rail is not mounted on the main rail, you are at risk of blocking it. So tightening the screw should be attempted only when the extension rail is perfectly attached to the main rail.
    You'll see that there is a small gap on the geared rack at the junction between the main rail and the extension rail. This is intentional since it is very difficult to adjust manually both rails one against each other to a degree of precision compatible with the precision of the focusing gear. On the folding rail, the precision at the junction,near the hinge, is perfect by construction, so you can roll the focusing gear over the gap at the rail hinge without trouble ; however for the extension rail, the small gap is designed to ensure that the gear will safely escape/disengage before re-engaging on the extension rail.

have fun !

Hi Sheldon,
    If you can trade for the telescoping rail, jump on it. You rack the camera on the rear short rail, remove it from the channel and stow the camera this way, the most compact configuration in a pack. When you mount the camera, you pop the channel with the front rail on your tripod, slide the camera in and you are ready to go. The telescoping rail is more rigid than the folding rail..Evan Clarke (5 Arcas)

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Hi Sheldon, The telescoping rail is more rigid than the folding rail..Evan Clarke (5 Arcas)
    Hi Evan,

Makes good sense with respects to the overall rigidity!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Hi Sheldon, The telescoping rail is more rigid than the folding rail..Evan Clarke (5 Arcas)
    Hi Evan,

Makes good sense!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Congrats on the Arca system- I configure mine a bit differently and use one of two folding rails- I usually keep the camera mounted on the 30 cm folding rail with a leather pleated bellows which can handle my wide angle lenses 58mm-my mid range lenses 210mm. IF I know that I am going after telephoto shots where I change out the bellows to a 70 cm bellows and the rail to a 50 cm folding type. I also use a mid range formulation with the standard 38 cm bellows and carry both rails into the field. Personally, I would keep the rail that you have and continue to build on the system by adding components as you find them available on auction sites or as cast offs by others- that is the beauty of the Arca!

I can't imagine that anything could be more rigid than the folding rail - I tried mine out and this thing is rock solid! I could maybe see how the folding rail plus extension might be less solid than the telescoping rail, but there don't seem to be any rigidity problems with mine.

Does anyone have the weight or ability to weigh their 15cm Extension rail? I found the rest of the weights posted for the telecsoping and folding rails, but not for the 15cm extension rail. I'm curious what the total weight difference of the 30cm folding rail + 15cm rail vs. the telescoping rail would be.

I think the reason I'm leaning towards the telescoping rail instead of the folding rail is because of the speed of setup (no unfolding the rail and tightening the knob while holding the camera), more compact fit in my backpack (I'm not as concerned about the size of the bracket on the tripod since I carry that by hand), and that I could use one single rail for all my lenses (90mm - 300mm). I'm not sure if I'd like to have to get out a second rail and attach it when I decide to focus closer or use my 300mm. Plus the way that my backpack compartments are set up would make it simpler to pack.

Could someone post the weight of their 15cm extension rail?

Thanks!

FWIW, the split rail is UBER rigid. Even out to 600mm with the optional 300mm inner rail and one of the 150's. The folding rail is rigid enough by itself, but when you stick any of the insert-in-the-hole type extension rails into that, it gets a bit wobbly out beyond 450... Not bad at all, just not as rock-solid rigid as the split rail.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

I was even unhappy with the rigidity of the folding rail on my 6x9, the split rail is a rock. I have an Arca Cube with a Bogen universal plate attached to it for removal from my tripod which is now a Gitzo 3540XLS. This whole setup with my 4x5 and the split rail is so rigid, speedy and useful that it defies description...Evan Clarke