Thread: Screen Cezanne Elite Questions

Screen Cezanne Elite Questions

Hi

I'm looking into the possibility of buying a Screen Cezanne Elite Scanner. It's being sold off after a prepress house has gone out of business. The scanner has been pulled from a working environment.

Unfortunately the scanner is located in another state and it's not practical for me to go an inspect the scanner, so I need to check on a few things via email with the seller. The seller is not the original owner of the scanner, but the administrator selling off the business assets, so it will be hard to get detailed info.

Here's some questions I have that hopefully, with the right info I'll be able to ask the seller the correct things to insure if I buy the scanner I get what I expect!:

1. In a previous thread Ted stated there are 2 lock down screws that need to be in place before shipping - could anyone provide either a photo of these or a maybe a scan of any appropriate info from the manual for shipping procedures? I'll need to email the person organising the sale, and if they have a picture it will be easier for them to inspect the scanner and see if the screws are there.

2. How much would each replacement globe cost if the globes are not functioning (ballpark)? I'm making an assumption all the globes are ok - is there a simple way the seller (remember probably has no idea about scanners) can check if they are all functioning?

3. Are there any other simple tasks or inspections I can get the seller to perform? The scanner will not currently be connected to a computer, and given they are liquidating a large amount of stuff, I don't think they'll want to go through the hassle of trying to connect it up - so this will probably limit what can be inspected.

4. I will not buy the scanner unless the software and cables are included, but I assume they will be. The screen brochure mentions the original retaining plate as a standard accessory - what does this look like and where would it usually live? (separate from the scanner, inside the scanner?) I think it's a second piece of glass that goes above the tray but not sure. Is there anything else I should make sure is there before buying?

5. I'm currently investigating the cost of getting the scanner crated and freighted to me. Are there any specific instructions (beside the two lockdown screws) that I could provide carriers with to aid in getting accurate quotes?

Thanks,

Tim

Re: Screen Cezanne Elite Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Shawcross View Post
    Hi

I'm looking into the possibility of buying a Screen Cezanne Elite Scanner. It's being sold off after a prepress house has gone out of business. The scanner has been pulled from a working environment.

Unfortunately the scanner is located in another state and it's not practical for me to go an inspect the scanner, so I need to check on a few things via email with the seller. The seller is not the original owner of the scanner, but the administrator selling off the business assets, so it will be hard to get detailed info.

Here's some questions I have that hopefully, with the right info I'll be able to ask the seller the correct things to insure if I buy the scanner I get what I expect!:

1. In a previous thread Ted stated there are 2 lock down screws that need to be in place before shipping - could anyone provide either a photo of these or a maybe a scan of any appropriate info from the manual for shipping procedures? I'll need to email the person organising the sale, and if they have a picture it will be easier for them to inspect the scanner and see if the screws are there.

2. How much would each replacement globe cost if the globes are not functioning (ballpark)? I'm making an assumption all the globes are ok - is there a simple way the seller (remember probably has no idea about scanners) can check if they are all functioning?

3. Are there any other simple tasks or inspections I can get the seller to perform? The scanner will not currently be connected to a computer, and given they are liquidating a large amount of stuff, I don't think they'll want to go through the hassle of trying to connect it up - so this will probably limit what can be inspected.

4. I will not buy the scanner unless the software and cables are included, but I assume they will be. The screen brochure mentions the original retaining plate as a standard accessory - what does this look like and where would it usually live? (separate from the scanner, inside the scanner?) I think it's a second piece of glass that goes above the tray but not sure. Is there anything else I should make sure is there before buying?

5. I'm currently investigating the cost of getting the scanner crated and freighted to me. Are there any specific instructions (beside the two lockdown screws) that I could provide carriers with to aid in getting accurate quotes?

Thanks,

Tim
    1) These are large lockdown bolts, one with a plastic knob on the top. There is a good chance they have been lost if the scanner has been in service for some time as they come off completely .... OTOH, I am sure you can get them from Screen at a nominal price.

2) Replacement lamps are $200 each from Screen. The seller can dertermine by turning the machine on and seeing if all the lamps are lit. To be totally accurate he will need to remove the "tail" from the scanner and then unscrew and lift up the lid over the lamps.

3) They can plug it in and see how the front panel lights cycle but I really don't know what you will be able to tell without it beign hooked up to a computer.

4) The "retaining plate" if we are talking about the same thing is a piece of glass that runs the width of the scanner glass and sets in the side grooves. It has metal framing on both ends and is around 6-7 inches wide. There is a glass base, then the scanning glass which has handles oneach end and is removable and then the retaining plate.

As for the software,what you want is Color Genius EX. There is an earlier version of the software but I don't recall it's name. There is also a second kind of software which is for the printing industry that is copydot software ...if that is all they have you don't want it. Don't worry abou the SCSI cable... they are easy to get and will not cost you more than $50. One thing you left out is the SCSI Card. If you don't ahve onein yoru computer you will need one.

5) You should have the shippers completely foam the scanner to shape inside a cate.

General observation ... if you are buying this totally unseen, as described, you are basically buying the proverbial pig-in-a-poke andyou'd best not be risking very much money. You can buy one used in guaranteed working condition that has had some mild refurbishment from a reputable equipment broker and pay in the range of 4000 - 6000 .... so you should pay a whole lot less for this machine.

See my answer to your PM for more.