Thread: Radiography image

Smile Radiography image

I'd like to start making an image of several subject by using radiography techenic.
    Can anyone teach me that what kind of equipment I need for it?

Re: Radiography image

I'd suggest you start by looking Man Ray's Ray-o-Graph images from the 1930s. They're *exquisite* x-ray images of delicate subjects like flowers -- you can get a lot of fine detail when you can expose directly (never done any more with medical x-ray, requires too large a dose), don't have to worry about subject movement, and can use single-sided film instead of the usual double-sided (which allows use of a double phosphor screen to reduce the required dose even more).
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Thank you. I'll try this as well.

Man Ray's rayographs are just photograms made with ordinary silver gelatin paper, BTW. He called them like that because it uses his nickname's last name.

Where are you located? Look for your local natural history museum. Many of them have X-ray machines and routinely radiograph specimens that can't be taken apart. The procedure is simple, lay the specimen on the x-ray plate and zap it.

I've got radiographs of small fishes from several of them. Once, when I was somewhat desperate and had a little fish whose skeleton I needed to see my dentist offered to do it.

What kind of equipment do we need at least?
    Can we get them without any license, by low price?
    Did you do the little fish stuff at dentist?
    Sorry to lots of question but I'll be very pleased if you answer.

No, I didn't take the dentist up on his kind offer, the museum came through.

I'm completely ignorant about the legalities of getting an x-ray machine.

Most of hospitals (and dentists) switched to digital imaging so I suppose you can get X-ray machine for cheap but I'm pretty sure you need a licence or be a doctor.
    My dad was a radiologist in Paris. He worked at the hospital and at home. The appartment had a medical section with the X-ray room and lab. Basically the equipment is a Cobalt head and depending how deep you need to "see" (size of bones or whatever else with opac substance) you give more or less power wave.
    You should be behind a lead wall when you activate it. If you are close to the source you have to wear a lead suit (Flackjacket suit from WW2 is a good idea...)
    Dentists with tiny units compared to medical imagery were supposed to do it too. Basic text rule was : "get out of the room, click, and come back..."
    Otherwise film are processed like bw and my dad even had a darkroom ready in case the processor bailed.
    Don't play too much with that stuff, it's not a toy. An old inside joke was "why all radiologists are bald ?..."

Best,
    Guillaume