Thread: Shulman at 96

Shulman at 96

Still kicking, still shooting........photographer Julius Shulman Still Working at Age 96.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...cal&id=5497712
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Shulman at 96

Kirk, thanks for the update on Julius Shulman. Although I never had an opportunity to meet him, he was my mentor when I started doing architectural photography for a living. His 1960 book, Photographing Architecture and Interiors, taught me a great deal. That is where I learned the twilight double exposure trick. Good to hear that he is in good health and still at work.

By the way, he also used a Calumet (or the forerunner/Medalist?) but preferred the Sinar for switching between 4x5 and 8x10. I don't suppose their is much demand for 8x10 tranparencies these days!!!

Kirk, Merg ..... it's gotta be something in the air where they live. He and Peter
    Gowland are neighbors, they live abot a mile or so from each other in the Malibu canyons south of Sunset. Peter is the kid, he is only 91.

Ted, perhaps it's their passion for photography!

Although I never had an opportunity to meet him, he was my mentor when I started doing architectural photography for a living. His 1960 book, Photographing Architecture and Interiors, taught me a great deal. That is where I learned the twilight double exposure trick. Good to hear that he is in good health and still at work.
    Me too!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

His books are incredible! I have the above-mentioned PAAI as well as Architecture and it's Photography, and Photographing Architecture and Design. There are also some great shots in various architects' monographs, esp a John Lautner book I have. I always wanted to give him a ring and go up there to visit, but never got up the nerve. I hear he entertains visitors quite often...

By the way, Taschen has a few paperback summaries of architects Neutra, Schindler and a new one on the Case Study Houses. At $9.99 they're a steal with wonderfully rich photography, including many Shulman photos. Check 'em out on Amazon!

Wow! Julius Shulman is pretty damn awesome. I have one of his books it is indeed one of my favorites. I started out looking at Ezra Stoller as my place of business still prints from some of his negs when his firm needs images. We have a reserve of Agfa semi-matte jsut for his work. Anyhow, yeah Mr. Shulman is awesome.

Doug Dolde

Of course the BIG question: Is he now shooting Film or Digital

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    Of course the BIG question: Is he now shooting Film or Digital

I saw him on TV the other night. He looked great! And he was holding a film camera.

In the video he's using a 35mm film camera but I couldn't see the brand. It looks like an old one, possibly a Nikon F.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.