Thread: Recalibrating a Gossen Luna Pro

Recalibrating a Gossen Luna Pro

Is there anywhere out there where I can have my old Gossen Luna Pro recalibrated to work with 1.5v cells? I've heard of similar procedures for older cameras.

The better solution is to purchase the battery adapter kit from Gossen for around $18. This lets you use 1.5v SR44 batteries in the old Luna-Pro. It is apparantly a ring which both surrounds the smaller silver-oxide cells for fit and steps down the voltage to the correct 1.35v.

I just ordered one from Bogen (Gossen distributor in US). B&H also has them listed on their web site.

Zinc Air batteries also work, but last only a few months of use.

Don't let other vendors tell you that you can use other batteries - bogen/manfro tto (they bought out gossen) told me that if I don't use the adapter the other b atteries that I was sold could damage the unit.

Get the adapter and save yourself the aggravation.

The gossen kit just makes the sr44 cells fit, it doesn't change the voltage, the meter will still need to be recalibrated unless it's an F or later, which is wh at the kit is intended for, finding out how to do it on the net isn't easy, I sp ent a while looking for info on recalibrating my canon FTQL, no luck, worked it out myself in the end, best silver cell to use in my FTQL was a 357, alkaline ar e a waste of time in older gear, 76 silver cells aren't very good either.

Wein cells are the easy route, life can be very short if you are in arid area, M R9 adaptors aren't as good, unless the meter takes a constant current, some repa irmen apparently don't know how to recalibrate a mercury meter for silver oxide over the whole light range, an electronics type person would be a good bet

The Gossen/Bogen battery adapter kit does in fact change the voltage. Checked with my voltmeter, a single 357 silver battery reads 1.5 volts. The same battery measured in my Bogen adapter is right at 1.35 volts. This may not compensate for the less consistent voltage and discharge rates that silver batteries have vs. mercury, but the kit does change the voltage. One should think it should, since B&H is charging $40 for the adapter right now.