Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vista - hom much memory is adequate?

Re: Vista - hom much memory is adequate?

Ken, you're probably chugging along just fine with your set-up, but FWIW you might listen to Parts 1 and 2 of West Coast Imaging's pixel podcasts concerning the use of "guide files". I've been working with 650mb files on my G4 Power Book - I have less than a GB of RAM so this guide file technique is useful, if not essential.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    Assuming you are alluding to Windows, note the criteria of :
    Is your view of the world that small?

1. Safe - Microsoft's track record is still very poor
    Time for a reality check.

2. Properly working - Note the number of applications that will not run under XP64 and Vista 64
    Time for another reality check.

3. Fully functional - Try getting all the drivers you need for XP64, let alone having to re-write many apps that don't comply with the new "security" model.
    Yet another reality check.

Naah, I'll hang on for OS X Leopard - coming soon, with the ability to use existing 32 bit drivers and software
    Your loss. I don't plan to limit myself that way when I get a new machine, though I'm not going to bother upgrading, because my current machine is too old to warrant the effort. And it can't support more than 2GB ram anyway, so moving up to 64-bit would be of limited value.

How about the GIMP ? Does it do better with large files, etc. ? Perhaps the problem isn't the OS, it's the application. (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    Is your view of the world that small?

Time for a reality check.

Time for another reality check.

Yet another reality check.
    Hohum

Life is short, ram is cheap!!!

Install ALL the ram the motherboard can hold.
    Pick the right motherboard.
    Check-out www.sun.com, nice machines and Solaris works very well.

For Xp x64 the only drivers I cannot find are for a dial-up modem and a scanner I have had since Win 3.11 - OS/2, everything else is built-in from Microsoft. It even has drivers for my Kodak digi-cam. XP x64 also has multi-boot so I can boot-up any OS I wish to run today, I guess they bought it from IBM.

Hohum
    Well, you're the fanatic who had to impose your agenda on a hapless poster using lies to back up your "opinion."

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    Well, you're the fanatic who had to impose your agenda on a hapless poster using lies to back up your "opinion."
    1. I am not a fanatic, I was just suggesting an alternative to Windows. After all, Macs tend to be used professionally more than by hobbyists who tend to stick with Windows.
    2. I imposed on nobody, this is a forum that can carry more than one point of view
    3. What lies ?

[QUOTE=Joanna Carter;259978]1. I am not a fanatic, I was just suggesting an alternative to Windows. After all, Macs tend to be used professionally more than by hobbyists who tend to stick with Windows.
    QUOTE]

Statistically, in the graphics industry it is about a 50/50 split between Mac and PCs. Macs tend to be used by students/non-professionals as much or moreso than PCs.

[QUOTE=Charles;260456]
    1. I am not a fanatic, I was just suggesting an alternative to Windows. After all, Macs tend to be used professionally more than by hobbyists who tend to stick with Windows.
    QUOTE]

Statistically, in the graphics industry it is about a 50/50 split between Mac and PCs. Macs tend to be used by students/non-professionals as much or moreso than PCs.
    A little musing from a user of both platforms for different things:

I read a study taken (which I would kill to find again, I apologize for uncited stuff) of creative professionals and of the people that answered that they used PCs, something like 90% said they chose PCs because that is what they already owned, not because of any logical thinking of what platform does what better.
    -Chris

How did this thread get hijacked into a PC vs. Mac thread? Can't we just accept that some of us use Macs and others use PCs and not try to evangelize the other side into conversion every time we discuss computer hardware?

The original question was centered around RAM and Vista so I will limit my comments to that subject.

I think the easy answer to the RAM question is as much RAM as you can practically afford. At some point the cost of accomodating high amounts of RAM will outweigh the benefit. This decision is a personal one.