Re: Microtek M1 Scanner

Ted
    What is a step up from the epson 750 or the microtek m1
    both price and quality.
    Thanks in advance
    Tom

Tom,

If you search the archives you will see that this question has been asked many times. Unfortunately, it isn't a step but a quantum leap. The next step up in quality will get you a major improvement in quality but will also cost. It takes you into the 10K range. Kodak right now is offering a $2000 rebate/discount on the IQsmart 2 which is the nexct step up. Send me an email or PM if you want more info.

I was afraid that was the answer.
    Thanks
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Tom,
    If you search the archives you will see that this question has been asked many times. Unfortunately, it isn't a step but a quantum leap.
    Your quantum leap is for 4x5, but I also shoot 645. You quote 2400 as an approximate resolution for the M1 which places it between the Epson 700/750 and the Nikon 4000 dpi film scanners. I am looking forward to comparative numbers for both of those scanner types, especially since I have bought scans 645 scans on the Nikon 8000. I am awaiting your View Camera review. Thanks, Alan
    P.S. When does the magazine ship?

Quote Originally Posted by alanmcf View Post
    Your quantum leap is for 4x5, but I also shoot 645. You quote 2400 as an approximate resolution for the M1 which places it between the Epson 700/750 and the Nikon 4000 dpi film scanners. I am looking forward to comparative numbers for both of those scanner types, especially since I have bought scans 645 scans on the Nikon 8000. I am awaiting your View Camera review. Thanks, Alan
    P.S. When does the magazine ship?
    You can get fine results with the M1 or similar and careful attention (wet mounting)/post-processing/etc. The real issue is the output once you want to get into larger prints. At smaller print sizes, it's quite possible that the consumer beds have similar quality especially if you know how to work both with the machine and post-processing. Obviously, a straight scan out of the IQsmart/Cezanne/etc. will just be super clean and you won't have to be post-processing much at all. Will still need to have obvious attention to what you are doing as an operator, but the straight clean-through-output from these higher level scanners is effortless and enables some massive print sizes with razor sharp rendition that the consumer beds cannot hold a flame to.

Heck..speaking out of no experience, but what I have read. Still, you can print 12X16's and 16X20's which are darn large prints and achieve tack sharp images from the flatbed with LF film, though for 645, will take a bit of work.

I'd invest into a Nikon 9000 with glass carrier. That will get you as close to the higher level scanners/drum scanners on the market and is a "major" leap up by comparison to an Epson w/4X5 vs. an IQsmart 2/Cezanne...basically, there is no Nikon 9000 in between the Epson and the IQsmart for large format, and that really sucks

Alan, I have only scanned one transparency smaller than 4x5 on the M1 and have not discussed it in the review. I'll reserve judgement until I do a few more smaller format scans but don't expect it to perform as well as the 9000/8000.

Audioxcels, I think "tack sharp images" may be pushing it a bit for 16x20 from any of the prosumer scanners. Nice images, often (depending on the subject matter) but not tack sharp when compared to prints from scans done on a high end scanner.

Alan, I have only scanned one transparency smaller than 4x5 on the M1 and have not discussed it in the review. I'll reserve judgement until I do a few more smaller format scans but don't expect it to perform as well as the 9000/8000.

Audioxcels, I think "tack sharp images" may be pushing it a bit for 16x20 from any of the prosumer scanners. Nice images, often (depending on the subject matter) but not tack sharp when compared to prints from scans done on a high end scanner.

Heck..speaking out of no experience, but what I have read. Still, you can print 12X16's and 16X20's which are darn large prints and achieve tack sharp images from the flatbed with LF film
    What does tack sharp mean? Very close to an enlarged silver print on close inspection? Not on any of the prosumer flatbeds I have tested. With a proflatbed or drum scan? Absolutely, sometimes sharper.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    What does tack sharp mean? Very close to an enlarged silver print on close inspection? Not on any of the prosumer flatbeds I have tested. With a proflatbed or drum scan? Absolutely, sometimes sharper.
    Obviously, Kirk, you need to inspect the scan with a 10X loupe (directly on the hard drive if possible) and then feel the tip of an ISO standard tack with your thumb, and determine which is sharper.

In all seriousness, the test is side by side prints, the best silver print you can make at 16x20 from a negative against the best digital print at same size from the same negative. I have done this a few times which is why I have given up on the consumer flatbeds for exhibition quality work ( I have not tested the M1).
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 25-Jan-2008 at 11:53.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"