Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who do you use for shipping your E6 orders?

Who do you use for shipping your E6 orders?

I sent my first order (23 sheets) to Calypso today and used FedEx 2 day service which cost $15, so my round trip will be $30 plus $32 for processing.

Total cost per sheet approx $2.75, a lot better than my local labs at $4-4.50.

If I could get the shipping down, it'd be even better, but I'm wary of using USPS Priority (only $8.95 flat rate) because of X-ray possibilities...maybe I should send a few sheets at the $4 Priority envelope rate to test it...

Any experience or advice to share?

Re: Who do you use for shipping your E6 orders?

I've sent 4x5 e-6 to Photo Craft imaging in Boulder Colorado
    1.40 per sheet. A pleasure to work with.
    Jack Dykinga and others use them
    web is www.pcraft.com

Good Luck

What I meant was...which shipping service?

FedEx

UPS

USPS

I have used both UPS and FedEx. I do not remember what the cost was, but on orders of $80.00 or more return shipping is free. That is from Calypso. That is quite a few sheets of 4X5, but if you do have enough at one time it brings the cost down even more.

I have received film orders via USPS Priority Mail without a problem. At the time I was also concerned about X-Ray damage. I asked the same question and every reply was that it was safe.

Thanks, Ben!

I've since found out today that FedEx Ground is a lot cheaper ($5.50-ish), although that wasn't an option on the FedEx site, and neither was their 3-day service. Seems they try to force overnight or 2-day on you via the website...

Glad to hear that USPS Priority was fine for you...

USPS Priority is shipped on FedEx planes, at least that's what my local Kinko's/FedEx said.

I use USPS Priority to ship film processing orders, haven't had a problem yet(knock on wood)
    Colleen

Use PhotoCraft for E6 4x5's. When I want quick turnaround: express mail with return FedEx 2 day (would use Fed ex both ways but I live way out in the sticks). Pricey but sometimes required. Otherwise priority mail both ways with delivery confirmation. Never have had a problem.

PhotoCraft recommends shipping FedEx as they feel that FedEx provides the best tracking of packages should a package get lost. The guy I spoke to about a month ago stated he wouldn't trust the USPS with one-of-a-kind images. I have been very fortunate with USPS over the last 2 years and it sounds like others have as well.

One consideration if considering UPS vs FedEx: UPS trucks are dark brown and in the summer sun I imagine get pretty hot inside (where your precious film is). FedEx trucks are all white and should stay alot cooler in the summer. Something to think about.
    Vance Gese

I use FedEx Ground.

UPS has lost numerous packages of mine (including TWO different large format lenses!) and I would never trust them with my precious exposed film! Dealing with UPS about those lost lenses gave me an appalling insight into the inner workings of their company... what a mess.

I have been using the USPS for several years to ship my LF film to Photocraft. I'll carry a couple of their priority boxes with me on a trip and when one is full, I drop it off at a post office. Usually the processed film is waiting for me when I get home. I have never had a problem so far. Usually my film makes it to Photocraft in two days from most places. Jim

www.spiritlightphotography.com