Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ADMIN: WHAT'S NEXT ON THE LF PAGE ?

ADMIN: WHAT'S NEXT ON THE LF PAGE ?

I was fortunate to find your web site and have been enjoying it thoroughly! I began in MF and still do quite a bit of shooting with that camera and those lenses. My urge to get to bigger images began when I bought a Fuji 617 and have shot extensively in that format. A bit later, I came into LF with a Sinar P and have now stepped up to a new P2.

My story and evolution is probably not usual. Nor have I given up on shooting the other formats-I have merely rotate as the circumstance and mood occurs. I would welcome, discussions, links, articles and sharing of information on MF and Panoramic so that I don't have to dart between a lot of other sites. Also, I am always one to forget conversions and equivelencies between formats so lens comparisons and the like, would be a welcome addition.

I think the idea of a photographers profile would be great. Also Id like to see write-ups of any LF courses that readers have been on...what the teaching was like, tips that they could pas s on etc.

I feel that this forum should work towards the goal of becoming an inclusive " View-Camera Users Forum " rather than concern itself with film format. The challenges and rewards of view camera photography, extend well beyond mere film size. Each film format has its advantages and disadvantages and can be debated ad-nauseum. The common thread of this forum should be based upon view camera technique and NOT film size. The view camera experience is unique unto itself, their is no confusing it with any fixed lens camera regardless of format. I myself chose an Arca 6x9 view camera over a 4x5 model, will merely changing the rear standard to a 4x5 unit fundamentally change my perspective on photography? I think not. I find that the dialog on this forum is far more relevant to my photographic style, than that of any traditional medium format forum. For those who say ?large format, for large formats sake?, I think that you are short changing yourselves. Inclusion into the view camera fraternity rather than exclusion based on film size, should be the guiding premise. For those of you that I've offended I offer my condolences, for I believe your way of thinking is endangered. But I certainly do not offer an apology for holding this opinion. I shall now set off my soap-box, thank you for you time and consideration. Bob P.

I think Tuan has been doing a great job of editing the site, so if it expands to include more on rollfilm view-cameras or MF cameras with lens movements or even TS lenses for 35mm, I'm not too worried. I don't see a slippery slope here leading to a Canon-vs.-Nikon-24-200mm-zoom free for all, and maybe a single page on TS lenses might be a way of introducing some 35mm users to LF. By the same token, some topics might be added in the spirit of "Large Format" on the grounds of film size alone like LF TLRs (Gowlandflex and such, but not MF TLRs) or LF panoramics (Cirkut Camera, but not Widelux) without losing the spirit of the enterprise.

A comparison of MTF/contrast quality of 210 mm lenses woud be helpful. For example, does the G-Glaron f/9 210 mm with aperture set at f/22 provide MTF curves at infinity focusing comparable to the f5.6 Apo-Symmar with aperture closed down to as low as f/8? Does the 210 f5.6 XL provide superior MTF's to the Apo-Symmar, and if so, how significantly? How much better if at all is the G-Claron or 210 XL at 1:1 than the 5.6 Apo-Symmar? At what size print enlargement are the advantages if any readily detectable to the nak

I like this website...lots of good information...Critique would be lpfullgreat..discussions on composition also would be welcomed. also maybe some kind of chat room would be helpfull.

I'd like to add my interest in camera support. As one who is trying to get equiped in LF on a budget (which I'm starting to wonder if that's an oxymoron) it would be very easy to spend close to a thousand dollars plus on a Gitzo Mountaineer, a good ballhead, and quick releases. Also as a hiker, the heavier and less expensive options are not something my knees relish. I know there are less expensive alternatives, like Slik carbon fiber tripods and Giotto ball heads, but just don't know how they perform. I think some of us neophites might benefit from a review of this sort of equipment.

My thanks to QTL for this wonderful site devoted to large format photography. I like the idea of photographers writing about their travels or projects they've undertaken.

The photographers' link page is getting unwieldy. Make up an arbitrary 6 or 7 c ategories (no, not EVERY site will exactly fit but choose the best one) and ask the linking photographer to choose one. Maybe, some sites require pruning.

I am experenced in large format 8x10 kodak Masterview as well as 11x14 and regularly use an 14x17 improved empire state from the 1880s. Most of my lenses are 80+ years old too.

I would really like to see pages devoted to ULF/LF discussions including lens selections/availability/sources and cost, older shutter care and use, transportation of this type of equipment, sources of reliable repair and maintainence and allternative printing processes.

I would agree that their should be a place for MF view cameras too. But if topics were organized by format size navigation would be easier.

Finally, I have developed some knowledge of LF/Ulf cameras and the available lenses that will cover these formats such as dagors,protars, plasmats,artars,tessars etc and am willing to participate in conversations and share my limited knowledge with those of similar interests.