Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ADMIN: WHAT'S NEXT ON THE LF PAGE ?

ADMIN: WHAT'S NEXT ON THE LF PAGE ?

The "Misc 2x3 View Cameras" section is extremely sparse, so if expanding it is what's intended by "MF view and technical cameras" then I think its an excellent idea.

Most of the books I've seen define large format as 2x3 and up. 6x9 format is all but dead in the MF world, but there's quite a number of 6x9 cameras being made by the LF manufacturers.

Its also obvious that there's a growing interest in 6x9 on this forum. I'm starting out with an old 2x3 Technica (although I'm also getting my feet wet with a 4x5 Crown Graphic). There's arguments pro and con about whether 6x9 is a good way to get started in LF photography, but the fact remains that for many beginners its an appealing transitional step. I've also seen numerous posts from professional LF photographers who use 6x9 exclusively. It belongs here.

I'd like to see a beginner section for platinum printing and selenium toning. I also like the idea of hand held LF photography. Darkroom techniques also sparks my interest at this moment.

GREAT SITE! I'D be lost without it!

paul schuster

First off, let me say that I agree with Wayne, for the petitions ideas. I also think that having a few more beginers pages would be great - e.g. Platinum processin (including info on how or where to get LARGE copy negs done - a short list to labs providing that service UK and Europe, not just the US would be nice). Other good beginers topics could include setting up the camera and other ancillary equipment for different applications (e.g. portraits, still life, landscape, other people shots not falling into portraits - i.e. group shots and the like, nudes, product). And it would also be a good idea to have sectiond on digital capture, and the scanning in of negs/ chromes. Also I think that having 'shoot reports' would be very helpful - giving you some nice photos for the page, and some more exposure for the photographer.

Hi,

I'm new to view camera and finding your LF site has been of great help. After many hesitation, I've bought an Arca-Swiss 6x9, so I'd welcome more information concernig that format.. For me the dividing line isn't between LF and MF but wether the camera allows movement or not.. There are specific questions related to 6x9 format and I'd like to see them treated, does it make a difference in the tripod choice or loupe choice ? what about the best suited lenses for 6x9 ?

As for a critic section, my first reaction was positive, but reading some sceptic comment about it, I'd say that it is a good idea, as long as we can keep it focused on special LF themes : what kind of movements were used, in order to correct perspective, or to increase (or decrease) the depth of field..

I'm less interested by alternative process, since I'm mostly scanning the negs.. as for digital printing, there are already a lot of other sites/lists devoted to those topics.. (see the digitalsilver list at http://www.topica.com or the Mitchel Leben lists at http://www.leben.com/lists

Thank for all the helpfull information put on the LF pages.

Any way thanks for offering all those ressources.

Travel reports? Sounds interesting, so long as they are farly well written (same as anything else, I suppose). If enough of them acccumelate, they could be divided into categories (area, season, etc.)

The problem with this site is enough blah, blah, blah! Let's see some real good pictures. This is what LF all about.

I'd be extremely interested in both reading and contributing to travel reports. I'm also very interested in the idea of objective surveys and reviews.

Great ideas.

Brilliant site. I like the idea re 10x8 section as I feel that this will be the next area manufacturers will attempt to drop their support in, ie films, pro lab d&p etc etc. Forget medium format as this site has the best for want of a better word atmosphere! and no flaming. If I want medium format help I will go to the MF forum. This site is so good that any none equipment problem is normally answered here.

QT Great site...great following... If there is one improvement I would like to see...it would be when there is a paticular thread (question) of interest, that one can tag this thread and have any of the responses go directly to thier email. This will make the threads more sensible, whereas when someone may disagree with the last poster, he may not go re check this thread for long time, hence many other posters fog the rebuttal...whereas if the original poster read the rebuttal, he could go back on and explain or conceed his point...I think everyone would benefit by this system. It also would help us track the items of interest without scrolling through the Q&A page each time...

QTL

Many compliments on the wonderful creation and maintenance of the LF site. It's truly a great resource for all of us involved in the medium. As for suggestions, I'd like to second several comments that have been made regarding LF photographers who are increasingly using the 6x9 format on their LF cameras. Any articles regarding roll film would be greatly appreciated. After shooting 100% 4x5, I've found myself shooting about a 50/50 mix of 4x5 and 6x9. With pro films getting faster and with ever finer grain structures I've found very little difference between the formats when enlarging to 20x24 or when presenting the images to editors.