Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: official advisory from Fujifilm USA about commercial air travel with film. Also advice about postal and delivery services

official advisory from Fujifilm USA about commercial air travel with film. Also advice about postal and delivery services

This is courtesy of noted photographic writer and editor Bob Shell. iadd to it the following advice; Get to the airport early, be courteous, you are not the only person trying to catch a plane or carrying photographic materials: your rude behavior causes trouble for all of us. You don't want to play by the rules? Fine. Stay home.

New Postal Service and Increased Airport Scanning Procedures Fog Photographic Film

In an effort to make the skies and United States mail safer after the tragic events of September 11th, new and increased scanning procedures have been put in place by both the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) and the airline industry. Unfortunately, these recent changes put photographic film at risk of fogging and exposure.

In airports around the country, the use of baggage scanners to detect explosive devices has been increased. Because of its silver content and metal canisters, photographic film, especially large packages or bundles of film, appears particularly suspect. Unfortunately, the scanners are fogging undeveloped film left in checked baggage. Unlike the airport x-ray equipment of the past, which had little or no effect on unprocessed film, the International Imaging Industry Association, Inc. (I3A) has tested these scanners at the request of the FAA and determined they have the potential to fog both unprocessed color and black and white film. Processed film is unaffected.

As of October 27th, the USPS has begun purchasing electron beam scanning equipment for use in sterilizing mail and eliminating any possible exposure to anthrax. This electron beam technology will fully expose undeveloped film as if it were exposed to sunlight. At this time, we do not have complete information regarding the extent to which these scanners will be used or when the USPS will begin using them. As we receive additional information, we will update this document to remain current with these events.

While we applaud the FAA, airline industry and USPS in their efforts to ensure that checked baggage and mail are safe, we also realize that your pictures are very important to you and want to do all we can to see that your photographic memories are preserved. We offer the following suggestions to help you avoid damage to your film from airline scanners. We do not currently have information regarding any safeguards that may be taken to protect film sent via the USPS.

* Make sure there is no unprocessed film in your checked baggage.

* Carry your undeveloped film with you as carry-on baggage and ask for hand inspection whenever possible. Place film in a separate mesh or clear plastic bag for easy identification by airport security.

* When carrying large amounts of unprocessed film, contact the airline prior to your flight to arrange for a special baggage inspection. When possible, send your film via a cargo carrier that will certify that the film will not be x-rayed. The FAA and I3A are currently working on guidelines with respect to this situation.

* At some airports, passengers may be randomly selected from the carry-on baggage check line and their carry-on luggage scanned as checked baggage. Please be aware that this scan will fog film. If you are asked to step into another line, remove your film from your carry-on baggage.

* In time, security measures at airports may increase, and stronger scanners may be used to scan even carry-on baggage. Be aware of the signs in the airport; most carry-on baggage scanners, at this time, will be marked as "Film Safe" if they will not damage your film.

official advisory from Fujifilm USA about commercial air travel with film. Also advice about postal and delivery services

Well, I just recently traveled from Houston to Mexico City.. I requested a visual check of my PC and film...and it was a no go, I asked to talk to 3 different supervisors, I was nice and polite and everytime I was denied a visual check I asked for the next person higher. They all told me the same....new rules, everything goes through the x ray. When I stated I thought they were mistaken and that visual checks were still allowed they were adamant in their attitude that no more visual checks, of course when I asked them to show me the ne regulations they were unable to do so, but in the end what do you do? you have the choice of missing your flight, keep arguing or passing your film through the x ray and hoping it does not get exposed. If any of you out there are counting on getting a visual check you might as well forget it.

On Oct 31 we traveled from Portland, Maine international airport where a visual check of the film was denied (35mm 6x6 and 4x5). My wifes film had allready gone thru x-ray in a lead bag with no questions asked. Security,state police, national guard all watching, my wife empties her lead bag gives it to me "here use my lead bag"I place my film handed back to security... it goes thru x-ray security hands me the bag and tells me I'm all set. At the same time my computer is being sniffed.??? In NewOrleans with long lines they were very friendly and willing to hand check the film, cameras loaded/unloaded still have to be x-ray. I wonder what exactly the folks in Portland saw in the lead bag to be assured it was safe ??? They did confiscate my fileless finger nail cliper, Go figure

Victor

I recently queried A+I about postal safety before sending some mailers with undeveloped film. While they didn't come right out and say it was absolutely safe, they did say that right now the USPS is only scanning letters and not packages and that they are concentrating on mail destined for NY and Wash DC. To me it sounded safe for the time being (Colorado to California) and I took a chance in using US mail. They also said that that are monitoring film sent to them for any problems and have not detected any so far. Also that UPS and Fedex do not scan packages as the USPS is planning to do. They indicated that they will be updating their web site with further info as the information becomes availible.

I travelled on September 29th and took a 120 folder camera. I just kept the film in my pockets, since the packaging is cardboard & plastic now, and it didn't set off the metal detectors. No problems. It might be now, though, since I've heard of people being asked to take off their belts, and shoes, and ...

35mm cannisters, of course, wouldn't work.

So what is the current consensus? Film shield bags in your carry-on baggage

While we're in full paranoia mode....

Now I'm worried that most people will ditch their film-based cameras and get digital to avoid these hassles. Film manufacturers will then go out of business or switch to all digital products, and we won't be able to get any film at all.

Too late; that's already begun.

Has anyone had problems with the people at the airport demanding that your boxes of sheet film be opened? I would hope not, but was curious. Especially if you're traveling internationally. I'm thinking about an international trip and taking MF & LF gear with me. Just wondering.

I've had a sealed 4x5 film box opened by security on a domestic Australian flight - luckily they didn't open the bag inside - ???!!! Also - Kodak IR film - try explaining why you can't examine the cannister (or it'll get fogged). Easy photographer solution - don't visit the USA - I won't be...