Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ADMIN: WHAT'S NEXT ON THE LF PAGE ?

ADMIN: WHAT'S NEXT ON THE LF PAGE ?

I would like to invite everybody to discuss which new material we would like on the Large Format Page, and to contribute some. I'll suggest some directions for a start here, but I'd be most interested to hear what you'd be interested in reading or contributing.

So far, we have a good number of articles about equipment, but there are still a number of gaps. I was thinking: <ul> <li> MF view and technical cameras <li> LF hand-held cameras <li> Panoramic cameras <li> 8x10 cameras <li> ULF cameras <li> Rollfilm holders <li> Digital equipment, including transparency scanners <li> Camera support </ul> There are two types of articles that you could contribute. The first one is a Survey (like what we currently have for 4x5 cameras), which requires a bit of market research, but no actual experience with all the gear. The second would be a Review, which is simpler: you own or use a piece of equipment which hasn't been written about enough (this can be anything from a lupe or a holder to a camera) ? Just describe it, how it works, what are its advantages and drawbacks.

As you have noticed, I've begun to write articles about technique this summer. I'll try to finish up the series on setting-up the camera by discussing view camera movements. It's probably time to think about other subjects (such as metering), and more specific how-to articles (such as how to photograph buildings at dusk).

Where I'd really like to expend the contents is towards trip reports and photographer's profiles. Hopefully this will bring photographs to the LF page.

In a trip report, you'd write about a place you've been, what you liked about it, what the possibilities were, how you handled the logistics. It can be anywhere: a wilderness trip, foreign travel, a road trip, or an afternoon visit to an interesting location in your town.

In a photographer's profile, we would read anything you'd like to tell us about yourself, your subjects, motivations, philosophy, methods and tricks, equipment, and photography. You'd provide a small portfolio of representative photographs. I was thinking to set that up as a chain. We would create a list of photographers interested in being profiled. After your own profile has been published on the LF page, you would pick someone else on the list, and collaborate with him or her on creating his profile by interviewing him, and so on.

What do you think of all those ? Any other ideas ? Say what you want, hopefully somebody will like to write it !

Add a large format photo critique forum.

Alternative printing processes: Pt/Pd, POP, gum, cyanotype, etc.

I think a section on lighting techniques w/LF and MF would be nice. (just a thought)

I like all of these ideas. I especially like the idea of photographer profiles and trip reports. I think just more info and articles in all areas would be great. This is a great resource already, and I think that these additions would make it even better.

Possibly feature some one' s LF images along with a profile on a weekly basis. Viewers can flip through images and comment.

If anyone on the list is good at basic cleaning and adjustment of older shutters that aren't too difficult to work on (Ilex and such), a few illustrated how-to's would be interesting.

I really appreciate this site and all the work that QTL puts into it. Its hard to imagine many improvements but I'd hugely support a large and medium format image critique section. I like the gear and the technique, must have it, but the end product is the image and frankly, I could use the help in developing a critical eye.

RR

I particularly like the idea of more information on digital processing of LF images including transparency scanning, equipment, techniques, camera backs etc.

I like the idea of travel reports... building a repository of logistical information would be very helpful. Sources of film, and reports of good and bad experiences with processing labs in different locations would be very helpful in trip planning.