Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ADMIN: WHAT'S NEXT ON THE LF PAGE ?

ADMIN: WHAT'S NEXT ON THE LF PAGE ?

The trip report sounds goods. I usually take at least one long road trip a year and several long weekend trips that I wouldn't mind contributing information on. I would also like to hear about other locations to visit.

I like most of the suggestions, except for the critique, that usually turns into a cat/dog fight and remarks about cropping, ect., the other thing that bothers me is going to med.format, this is LF site, maybe I am selfish but I would like to see it remain that and not degenerate into a med.format/35mm site, with all the bickering and flamming. QTL, I really enjoy the site and hope we can all contribute to and maintain the quality of the site. Regards, Pat

I want to second Chad's response for Platinum and alternatives like Kallitypes. Let's talk about post production!

I reinforce Pat4s post. This is a LARGE format site.(Or isn't?).

I like the idea. I like the idea of getting to know something about the individuals I'm conversing with. It helps in understanding points of view and backgrounds. I would like to keep this a large format page but there are those who shoot MF w/movements that can add to the discussion. We shoot with roll film backs so I think it can be beneficial to include MF users as long as these point and shooters mind their manners. Ha Ha. I would also like to keep the critiques to specific questions about such things as movements or printing. I don't like questions like "comment on my picture." There needs to be constructive criticism on more than just cropping or "get rid of the tree from her head" or "what do you think of my pet duck?" There are already enough sites like this. And I would welcome any discussion on ULF or alternative process topics. James

A little more info on the issues w/8x10 would help those of us attempting to migrate to that format. Things that only become an issue with the larger formats are great help to someone just moving up. I didn't know about the problems with the Dektol/Azo combination (and fortunately didn't have to find out the hard way), and buying a Calumet C-series is a minefield for the unitiated.

Still looking for a $200 Wisner Traditional 8x10...

QT,

Some of the previous posts have mentioned increasing the functionality of the website to include picture posts, and other aspects that are not directly related to large format photography. I think we need to be careful that the mission of the site is not lost, that being the dissemination of information on LF gear and techniques.

While I have no problem with the occasional off topic question in the discussion group, I think we should keep the static content pure to the realm of LF photography. There are many other sites that offer picture reviews, general film and chemical information, and other topics that LF photographers may use, none of this is explicitly part of the LF realm.

For example, covering alternative methods, although mostly practiced by LF photographers, is a clear shift in the emphasis of the site. There are some excellent sites and discussion groups that cover this topic, and I don't think there is a need to re-hash the topic. Adding a page of links to alternative photography sites should be sufficient. I print in platinum/palladium, so I'm not biased against alternative methods, I just don't want to see the site lose it's high level of purity.

However, ULF is a very appropriate topic, and is one that has very little good information available on the net. This is a unique branch of LF in that the gear used, and also some of the techniques, are often old, out of production, out of date, and undocumented. For example, there are precious few modern lenses that are suitable for use on a 7x17, 8x20, or 12x20 camera. This means that the ULF photographer must purchase old lenses. There is not a great deal of information on older lenses, and it certainly isn't all in the same place.

Ultimately, I don't think you want to do anything that requires you to become a full time webmaster for the site. This eliminates everything but static pages, and the basic q&a board you currently have. Personally, I'm satisifed with that. As long as there is a continuous increase in the amount of LF information offered here, and the relevant pages are updated from time to time (lens specs., etc.), this site will continue to remain one of the best on the web.

---Michael

(Let me know if you would like some help with ULF... I may have some time for that.)

Some possible areas where little information is available on the web include studio lighting and setup techniques used in still life photography, ultra large format, alt processes.

I like the idea of photographer's profile, photo essay etc.

All great suggestions. I'd add a grass roots movement thru suggested petitions to influence manufactures to consider making items we could use, such as Reala in sheet film. I'd also try and format down the road a contest where maybe we could gain recognition for our photography thru this forum to be used as an awards reference.

There are very few web sites that I visit every day, but this is one of them. There's always something interesting to learn - thanks for all your hard work to maintain it.

I agree with most of the previous postings. The only other area I'd like to see emphasized a bit more is architectural stuff (both exterior and interior, including lighting issues) and the challenges of doing it with LF equipment.