Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help selecting 5x7 VC Cold Light

Question Need help selecting 5x7 VC Cold Light

I’m looking for comments on how best to modify my existing enlarger light source to convert it to a 5x7 VC Cold Light … brand options, as well as installation challenges that may need to be addressed. My enlarger is a dinosaur really, but in such good condition that I don’t want to replace it unless it really makes sense. It’s a 5x7 Simmon Omega E6XL with an Omegalite diffusion lamphouse - a circular fluorescent tube about 11-inch diameter - that has annoying output consistency idiosyncrasies inherent in its design, and I’ve lived with it for many years, learning how to deal with this annoyance. I only work in black & white and have always used graded papers, which are becoming more difficult to find, so it seems I may be forced at some point to move on to VC papers PROVIDED I can find the right cold light head.

Re: Need help selecting 5x7 VC Cold Light

http://www.aristogrid.com/prod02CR-EK57SP.htm

They don't list the E6. I'm half tempted to get one of those myself but I'm at the moment leaning towards the 1212 to convert my Beseler. OTOH I might change my mind in the next five minutes. There is a short thread on this model. Supposedly actually getting a unit might be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    I’m looking for comments on how best to modify my existing enlarger light source to convert it to a 5x7 VC Cold Light … brand options, as well as installation challenges that may need to be addressed. My enlarger is a dinosaur really, but in such good condition that I don’t want to replace it unless it really makes sense. It’s a 5x7 Simmon Omega E6XL with an Omegalite diffusion lamphouse - a circular fluorescent tube about 11-inch diameter - that has annoying output consistency idiosyncrasies inherent in its design, and I’ve lived with it for many years, learning how to deal with this annoyance. I only work in black & white and have always used graded papers, which are becoming more difficult to find, so it seems I may be forced at some point to move on to VC papers PROVIDED I can find the right cold light head.

Jerry...its' possible this info has already caught up with you....but just in case....the Omega E-3 started life in about 1948...with a four tube flourscent lamp house on starters...not good....but to make it work...the lamp house stayed on...and exposure control was provided withan electric shutter. Your GE circleline lamphouse replaced the original idea. Arista...at one time made replacement lamphouses for our E-3 enlargers....but no more....so ....go out back into your shop and make an improvement upon what you have....or hope to find an Arista unit.. If you find two...then look me up....I'm in the doghouse too. As for as graded papers.....look up Freestyle Phot Supplies in Hollywood. They have more than you'll want. Happy new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sandling View Post
    Jerry...its' possible this info has already caught up with you....but just in case....the Omega E-3 started life in about 1948...with a four tube flourscent lamp house on starters...not good....but to make it work...the lamp house stayed on...and exposure control was provided withan electric shutter. Your GE circleline lamphouse replaced the original idea. Arista...at one time made replacement lamphouses for our E-3 enlargers....but no more....so ....go out back into your shop and make an improvement upon what you have....or hope to find an Arista unit.. If you find two...then look me up....I'm in the doghouse too. As for as graded papers.....look up Freestyle Phot Supplies in Hollywood. They have more than you'll want. Happy new year.

Several years ago I bought a 5x7 Zone VI light head and adapted it to work on my old Besalar 45M, turning it into a 5x7 enlarger. The adapter was made of wood and worked very well. If you are starting with a 5x7, it should be relatively easy to adapt almost any VC head. Here are some snaps of my device. Maybe it’ll give you some ideas.
    Jerome

Eric Woodbury

Aristo Coldlight, V54 tube and filters. For the utmost in consistency, you need a closed loop timer to go with it.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I don't know if these things ever made it across The Pond but an English company, Micro Precision Products, made 5x7 cold light enlargers where the light head could be removed. I have one but I seem to remember that the photo/journalist Roger Hicks has used an M.P.P. head on another enlarger.
    Hope that this helps,
    Pete.

The only problem is actually getting one from Aristo. I ordered a 5x7 cold light, got varied excuses on an estimated delivery and after some months, just gave up..Evan Clarke

Eric Woodbury

Agreed. Better to find something off the shelf, a standard. I'm using 12x12. The oversize is nice if you can make it work.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com