Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed Graphic shutter

Re: Speed Graphic shutter

There is one camera that I forgot, and I am looking at the origional Graflex press release.

There was the "Super Speed Graphic" which was a metal bodied camera with a 1/1000 second leaf shutter, (list price in 1960 $449.50, which we have already talked about, but there was also a "Speed Graphic Model 1000" which was a top range finder wood bodied, leather covered camera with a the 1/1000 leaf shutter. In essence a "Crown Graphic" with the "Super speed shutter". List price $379.50 with a 135mm optar 4.5

This is all from the Sept 1960 Graflex "trade notes". They also show the "Super Graphic" which was a metal bodied camera with the normal shutter.

The Super Speed with the 1/1000 leaf shutter, is that shutter independent of any lens you put on? Are there lens limitations?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls View Post
    If it's a Pacemaker model with rear shutter, it's a Pacemaker Speed. The Crown had a shallower body (and could thus accept about 15 mm shorter focal length lenses) specifically because it didn't have the focal plane shutter; it was the focal plane shutter (and accompanying differences in the body) that was the sole significant distinction between the Crown and Pacemaker Speed.

As Mark posted, the only model called a "Speed" that didn't have a focal plane shutter was the Super Speed, so called because of the 1/1000 leaf shutter (few of which are still operational, and without that shutter the camera is properly called a Super Graphic). No other model without focal plane shutter was ever sold as a Speed Graphic in the roughly fifty years from the original introduction of the "top-handle" Speed Graphic (the model with the small lens board) in 1928 until the Super tooling was sold to Toyo and the Graphic name finally dropped entirely.

Rider, The Super Speed Graphic came with a 135/4.7 Graflex Optar lens, mounted in the 1/1000 shutter. It had a small built-in lenshood which you twisted in order to cock the shutter. It has a bad reputation for unreliability. (On the only one I have direct experience with, the shutter blades had chewed each other up.) It was considered unrepairable 20 years ago...and from what I remember of the lenshood design, few other optics would fit. You could ask SK Grimes what they think; I'm sure they will have had some history with it.

Is the focal plane shutter on the speed graphic repairable? What do you look for in such a beast?

Yes, it is repairable and has been reliable for almost 90 years now!