View Poll Results: N American Rail Trip: One or Two Systems?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take only 4x5 system: a 90mm & 150mm LF Lenses

6 33.33%
  • Take 35mm & 4x5: a 120mm LF Lens & 85mm portrait lens for 35mm SLR

12 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N America Rail Trip - Just 4x5 or 4x5 and 35mm?

Beverly Hills, California

N America Rail Trip - Just 4x5 or 4x5 and 35mm?

I am taking a trip from Edmonton, East through Canada by VIA rail and down the east coast by Amtrak. Staying mostly in hostels and some B&B's. Interests include: hstoric Architecture/cityscapes, scenics, etc. I like to pack light.

I have three LF lenses: A nice 90 f.5 SW Nikkor, And two razor sharp ones: The 120SW f8 Nikkor and the 150 Apo Sironar-S. Will be using a Toyo 45AII camera and small gitzo CF tripod..

For 35mm I have a 20-35 lens and an 85 1.8 lens.

Should I take just the 120SW and also bring my Nikon 35mm and shoot both 4x5 and 35mm?

Or Should I bring the 90 SW and 150 Apo Sirionar and 'focus' on just 4x5, leaving the 35mm system at home?

Also to any Canadian photographers: I am interested in any 'must see' places. Thanks

Re: N America Rail Trip - Just 4x5 or 4x5 and 35mm?

"Interests include: historic Architecture/cityscapes, scenics, etc. I like to pack light."

If this is what you truly enjoy photographing, I'd say skip the 35mm, and pack the other two LF lenses. But it's hard to say when I don't know your work, and how you like to work.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I have found in the past I get better pics if I concentrate on a single system- only 4x5 for me even on my most exotic of journeys.

Wow that sounds like fun!
    Last edited by John Kasaian; 2-Jul-2007 at 06:51. Reason: forgot the smiley
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Andre -

In my experience, if I take two systems, I end up using only one. Also, multiple systems suggests additional headaches with security, especially if you are staying in hostels or other places where you are not able to lock up your equipment.

I would take one system.

What do you plan on doing with the photographs? This should determine what camera you bring.

While I'd agree that the final (intended) use of the photographs should be a primary factor, I'd add a couple of things to consider:

1. How often are you likely to make the trip? If it's a once- or twice-in-a-lifetime sort of trip, you may want to do what is required to get the photographs you want.

2. Pay close attention to the description of the trip, and how much time you'll have at stops. Opportunities to use the 4x5 on the train may be limited due to rail vibration, etc., so the 35mm may be more convenient in that respect.

But, if you have trouble quickly switching between systems (I don't), then you may be better off selecting one, recognizing whatever limitations that may impose.

Beverly Hills, California

It's an extended tour of 40 days, so average 2 or 3 days per location, by myself. Photographs for personal use. In 4x5, I will be shooting Ilford FP4+, Fuji color negative and Maco IR.

The 35mm is convienent, but I am honestly not impressed about the negative size. In the past, I've used 35mm mostly with my 300 f2.8 sports telephoto for sports and events with outstanding results.

The portraits I want to take of family/friends, I believe I can get on 4x5 with the 150.

So, I think 4x5 only it will be, especially since I will be using 3 different film types.

Take the 4 x 5 - that way you won't have any regrets.

I agree that coping with two systems, or worse yet, coping with three much different films, is hectic. However, using LF for family and friend photos can be an imposition on them. Also, 35mm is better when one must shoot on the run. Yesterday I tried photographing Union Pacific's No. 844 steam locomotive with a 4x5 when it came through this area. Even with much planning and preperation, relying on just one shot is too much a gamble for comfort. Having both systems available seems desirable.