Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: foto3/VC Conference - merged thread

foto3/VC Conference - merged thread

A quick announcement ... next year's conference will be a combined three-way conference. View Camera, APUG and Silver have have merged their separate conferences into a single event that will combine all the best features of each. We have been working on this for several months and it came together yesterday. The new View Camera - APUG - Silvr Conference will be June 6 through June 8 2008 in Fort Collins, CO.

More details to follow over the coming weeks as we start the planning in earnest.

Thanks to Sean Ross at APUG and Richard Newman at Calumet for all their work to get this pulled together.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 4-Jul-2007 at 12:53.

Re: View Camera Confrence 2008

Outstanding, simply outstanding. Very much looking forward to it.

Cheers!

Very wise indeed. Congratulations.

I'm planning on attending.

I'll shun all potential life altering temptresses until then.

Will it be the "Silver View PUG" conference then?

Daniel Geiger

For those of you equally geographically challanged as I, Fort Collins is about 60 miles due north of Denver. Denver International Airport is on the NE corner of Denver, so should take about an hour by car to get from the airport to FC on route 470 and then 87/HW25 then to 287. Rocky mountain National Park is about 30 miles to the west. There is also a municipal airport in Fort Collins for those who plan to fly in their own planes; some restrictions may apply .

It's under 1000 miles away, so I am planning to attend. Already on the calendar.

Somebody's got to say it. Might as well be me. Sigh...

This would make me rethink attending the conference. The APUG and Silver people are adamantly against what I do, which is to print digitally. Many are pretty judgmental and vocal about it. I don't know why I'd want to spend money to put myself in a position where I have to defend what I do. This isn't my idea of a good time.

The thing is, LF isn't solely about analog. But APUG and Silver are indeed solely about analog. I can understand APUG and Silver wanting to team up together as they have lots of overlap. I thought View Camera was more open to new ideas and alternative ways of doing things. I guess that's changing.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Somebody's got to say it. Might as well be me. Sigh...

This would make me rethink attending the conference. The APUG and Silver people are adamantly against what I do, which is to print digitally. Many are pretty judgmental and vocal about it. I don't know why I'd want to spend money to put myself in a position where I have to defend what I do. This isn't my idea of a good time.

The thing is, LF isn't solely about analog. But APUG and Silver are indeed solely about analog. I can understand APUG and Silver wanting to team up together as they have lots of overlap. I thought View Camera was more open to new ideas and alternative ways of doing things. I guess that's changing.
    Many people on APUG, including me, make extensive use of digital in one form or another. But there are definitely some people on APUG who are definitely anti-digital, to the point they don't believe a digital image is even a photograph. But you see that attitude on LF from time to time also.

But APUG is probably the best site for a person interested in analog photography and in that sense I don't see any mis-match with View Camera or Silver because that is certainly what they promote. I think we all should be more inclusive in our attitudes and acceptance of work that is different from our own so I applaud View Camera, APUG and Silver for putting aside the differences that divide them and reaching out to a broader perspective.

BTW, on a personal note I might mention that I did two workshops on alternative photography at the APUG conference last year in Toronto, and in both of them I used "digital" negatives. No one got up and walked out, including Sean Ross who attended one of them. So I am certain that folks like you who promote digital photography will be very welcome at the joint conference. I will certainly look forward to seeing you if you are there.

Sandy King