Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axial Tilt vs. Base Tilt Pro's and Con's

Axial Tilt vs. Base Tilt Pro's and Con's

As I continue to perform research for my up coming view camera purchase, I've hi t upon yet another road block. I was feeling very good about Arca-Swiss's 4x5 F- line cameras. I've received a lot of positive feedback from their users. Here's my question for those in the know. From my limited readings on view cameras I c an find many positive reasons for having an axial tilt feature on a cameras fron t and rear standard. But I'm having real trouble finding any advantage if any, f or a monorail camera to use base tilts on its standards. This of course is the s ystem employed on the Arca's new F-line camera's. From what I've read the older version of Arca's compact view cameras, did have axial tilt capability. Arca's c urrent Monolith camera as well as other high end view cameras employ both types of tilt. For this reason, I know that their most be some type of advantage to ha ving base tilts on a monorail camera. But I can't seem to find it yet, please en lighten me. Thanks a lot. Bob Pellegrino

Robert,

I believe Arca now has axial tilt as an option on the F-Line. It is called the "Orbix". I have not used it but I have read reviews that are very positive. Should you need/want axial tilts on an F-Line I believe you can purchase the kit and install it fairly easily.

Mike

Base tilt monorails are usually yawl-free, which is important if you're doing studio product shots. Since the lens moves a little forward and down when you apply base tilt, you need to coarse focus again and mabye apply a bit of rise to compensate. This is no big deal and only takes a few seconds. Usually, I decide where I want the plane of sharp focus to be, estimate the amount of tilt beforehand by doing a quick calculation in my head, set the tilt, coarse focus, then use rise/fall/shift to adjust the framing (no sense to focus w/ standards parallel and then apply tilt since you know you'll have to move one standard in...just a waste of time). You can always take a center-axis tilt camera, turn it on its side, and it becomes yawl- free, but unless you're using a huge studio stand, it might come crashing down. Although I haven't used a center-axis monorail, my guess is that the nodal point of the lens might not necessarily correspond to the pivot point of the standard, meaning you'll have to refocusing (a little) anyways.

"Base tilt monorails are usually yawl-free"

Not at all true.

many base tilt only monorail cameras like the Sinar Norma have yaw. In fact the yaw inherent in the norma is what made Sinar develop their later yaw free cameras since yaw is far more disturbing with a base tilt camera then with an axis tilt camera.

To be yaw free the tilt and swing point must either be at the same point (that is how the world's first yaw free camera, the original Linhof Kardan did it) or be beneath the swing point.

Most, if not all modern yaw free cameras are made with 2 tilt points. One beneath the swing to align the standards after inclining the rails and the other above for Scheimpflug and image shape control.

But base tilts in themselves are no guarantee of a yaw free design. Only when the tilt is beneath or at the same point can a camera be yaw free.

But then any yaw prone camera when used on it's side is yaw free,

But too much is made of yaw. The vast majority of all large format photographs ever taken were on yaw prone cameras including the works of Adams, Weston, Muench, Sexton, Mark, Barnbaum, etc.

There is no way a viewer could ever tell if a picture was taken with a yaw free or a yaw prone camera.

I have used both base and axial tilts. I vote most definately for axial tilts. Much easier and quicker to use. On the base tilt you have to refocus everytime you make an adjustment to the tilt and you have to raise or lower the front standard everytime you tilt. With the axial tilt this is not necassary. It is what drove the purchase of my Gandolfi. And price. I would try out the cameras before I purchased them. It's a lot of money to spend. Hey Bob, don't you guys handle Gandolfi over here? James

The advantage of using axis vs base tilt is rather small in my opinion. Typically, I figure out how much tilt I need by focusing in/out as I slowly increase the amount of tilt.

" Hey Bob, don't you guys handle Gandolfi over here"

No Linhof.

I believe Linhof in London carries it though.

Based on responses thus far, I've not seen any pro's to the base tilt system. The base tilts, at best, to be damned with faint praise i.e. " It's not that hard to work with, or its not bad with longer lenes." Is their any real advantage to base tilts? Or are base tilts, a second class movement when compaired to axial tilts? When I look at the mechanics involved with both types of monorail tilt systems, it does not appear to be a design choice based on economic considerations. The Toyo-View Gll is another camera that I'm considering (axial tilts). I know it's not near as compact as the Arca F-line, but how does the quality of its construction compair? Thanks for your help sorting out these issues. Bob Pellegrino

Actually it is good to have both on the front standard. Axial tilt is good for focus, while the base tilt and axial tilt used in combination let you use a much shorter focal length lens than many cameras would otherwise allow. You tilt back the lens from the base, and then use the axial tilt to bring the lens back to parallel (if that's where you want it). I have a Wisner Tech 4x5 and this lets me get those little lenses up close to the rear standard (with a bag bellows of course).

Mark is right. I, too, have a Wisner, and like base and axis tilt on the front. Using both lets you extend the bellows further. I use base tilt most of the time, since I am more comfortable with it.