Thread: Why does shutter not not close at T and B?

Why does shutter not not close at T and B?

I just received my "new" Crown Graphic, woohoo! However, the shutter on the Gra phex lens does not close at the T and B settings. The other settings from 1 - 1 /400 secs work (but I don't know if they're accurate). Is this something that I can fix myself or does this require professional attention? Thanks!

You might think of a good cleaning... at a shop it will cost about $90USD or you can pretty easily do it yourself with a micro screw driver, a small paint brush, alcohol and some Kodak Film Cleaner.

I've had this problem with several older lenses. It tends to happen when a lens sits around without being used for a long time. A cleaning may or may not work. Sometimes they just get so gummed up that they can't be fixed. Regardless, assuming you're operating it correctly a cleaning is your best choice and hope for the best.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I had the same problem with a Synchro-Compur-P for a Century Graflex. After unscrewing the lens elements I squirted non-residue electrical contact cleaner and powdered graphite into the cocking lever slot while working the shutter. Aftet letting the shutter dry thoroughly for a day I cleaned the residual graphite off of the shutter and iris blades using a facial tissue dipped in naphtha. Now the shutter works fine at all speeds. Don't use the contact cleaner without the graphite because when the fluid dries, the shutter will lock up completely.