Thread: Getting ready to do my first E-6

Getting ready to do my first E-6

Im almost ready to run my first batch of E-6 but have some last minute questions that my reading hasnt answered. Ill be using Kodak's 5 liter (6 step) kit in a 3010 drum on a Jobo CPP-2 processor. The film is Velvia 50.

Question 1:
    I keep reading that you should mix the reversal bath to 60% when using rotary processors, yet the technical information sheet published by Kodak doesnt mention this. Which is correct?

Question 2:
    I have also read references to mixing the bleach ahead of time and shaking it to incorporate oxygen and activate it. Is this true with the Kodak 5 liter kit?

Question 3:
    How important is the timing on the first wash step? Doing several rinses at 30 second intervals with a 10 second drain time for 350 mL (using the lift accessory) doesnt provide much time for each rinse to rotate.

Question 4:
    What amount of ingredients to prepare? Im guessing at doing a 350 mL batch size to do 10 sheets. Do I need more or less?

Question 5:
    Do people recommend using the reversal switch on the processor or rotating the drum in a single direction- Im guessing rotation but havent read about it anyplace yet (I might of glazed over it with all of the reading I have been doing).

Thanks for any help

Re: Getting ready to do my first E-6

Hi Eric. I'm certainly no expert, but there are no preset times for the wash steps. Only the developing times are critical. You just wash until you are satisfied that the chemicals from the previous step have been sufficiently removed. I just do 3 changes of water and manually rotate the drum for 15 seconds each time. The water temperature should approximate that of the developers.

I use 100ml of chemicals for each step to develop 4 8x10 sheets - that's in a 2830 Jobo drum. I develop 2 sheets at a time and re-use the chemicals for the second set. I guess I could do 16 sheets of 4x5 on 100ml of chemicals!

I rotate my drum in 2 alternate directions continuously for the recommended time.

Although I used the Tetenal kit and not Kodak's, the instructions are very explicit. If something is not mentioned in the instructions, it might be a good idea to ignore advice to do otherwise, at least for this first go. The Tetenal instructions only mention increasing development time for the first stage by 15% if developing in a drum.

So, good luck! I tell you, it's really boring and time-consuming doing this, but it's not half as bad as people make it out to be. I have 40 8x10 Kodak E100VS sheets developed so far with no problems.

Question 1:
    I keep reading that you should mix the reversal bath to 60% when using rotary processors, yet the technical information sheet published by Kodak doesnt mention this. Which is correct?

(1) Mix the reversal bath and all chemicals per the Kodak instructions and it works perfectly!

Question 2:
    I have also read references to mixing the bleach ahead of time and shaking it to incorporate oxygen and activate it. Is this true with the Kodak 5 liter kit?

(2) I have mixed the bleach just ahead of time or the night before and just shake good before using and have had no problems.

Question 3:
    How important is the timing on the first wash step? Doing several rinses at 30 second intervals with a 10 second drain time for 350 mL (using the lift accessory) doesnt provide much time for each rinse to rotate.

(3) Taking a little longer is not a problem

Question 4:
    What amount of ingredients to prepare? Im guessing at doing a 350 mL batch size to do 10 sheets. Do I need more or less?

(4) I always mix 1000 ml for each batch, whether I am doing
    5-8x10, 5-4x10 or 10-4x5. Maybe some waste but no problems.

Question 5:
    Do people recommend using the reversal switch on the processor or rotating the drum in a single direction- Im guessing rotation but havent read about it anyplace yet (I might of glazed over it with all of the reading I have been doing).

(5) Always use the reversal switch!

I have found the Kodak 5 ltr E-6 kit works great and once you get into a routine it is fairly easy with the CPP-2 and 3000 drums.

Scott
    www.scottsquires.com

(4) I always mix 1000 ml for each batch, whether I am doing
    5-8x10, 5-4x10 or 10-4x5. Maybe some waste but no problems.

I am wrong on the 10-4x5's in the 3010. I have not tried my 3010drum yet. Probably 500ml is the max.
    Scott

Thanks for the info folks- mission accomplished with fantastic results! I guess I am now entirely in control of my process- with the exception of making raw materials like film and paper.

Quote Originally Posted by eric black View Post
    Thanks for the info folks- mission accomplished with fantastic results! I guess I am now entirely in control of my process- with the exception of making raw materials like film and paper.
    Now it's time to make some commission

Glad to know the machine is doing a great job for you!

Can anyone off the top of their head come up with a dollar amt for the equipment for E6 4x5 and and chemical cost and break that down to per 4x5 cost? Maybe I need to get into developing my own if it would save money.

Quote Originally Posted by 65Galaxie View Post
    Can anyone off the top of their head come up with a dollar amt for the equipment for E6 4x5 and and chemical cost and break that down to per 4x5 cost? Maybe I need to get into developing my own if it would save money.
    You can do your own E-6 processing for 50 cents per sheet, but it's more time-consuming than B&W development. You'd want to get an aquarium tank to control the temperture bath, or you can just keep warm water running for the first part of the development.

I process 40 8x10 sheets using the 1000ml Tetenal 3 bath kit. That gets me a processing cost of exactly $1. per 8x10 sheet. MWAHAHAHAHAHA! Put that in yer pipe and smoke it, Calypso et. al.!

Quote Originally Posted by Rory_5244 View Post
    I process 40 8x10 sheets using the 1000ml Tetenal 3 bath kit. That gets me a processing cost of exactly $1. per 8x10 sheet. MWAHAHAHAHAHA! Put that in yer pipe and smoke it, Calypso et. al.!
    Agreed! Calypso is for wankers!