Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska in September

Alaska in September

I am planing a two weeks trip to Alaska in September. I think I feel a bit lost in so many options it gives so I am asking some suggestions. Maybe there are some other places much more interesting that I did not think of. I was thinking of going for few days to Homer area and either to St. Elias or Gateways of Arctic. I want to spend few days in Anchorage area too. I would like to have few days on coast and few in the interior. Other option would be to go to Aleutian islands. Ideally I would go to St. Paul island or to Yukon delta but this is out of my budget. Any suggestions very appreciated.

Jan

Re: Alaska in September

How late in September?

The tundra color and tree color peaks very early north of Fairbanks. Last year I was in the far north near the Arctic Circle around the 16th of September through the 23rd - I was late. Don't get me wrong - it's an astoundingly beautiful landscape, I just felt that the colors would have been more vibrate two weeks earlier.

Denali colors and Anchorage area colors peak in September. Homer's cool - there's a place called Two Sister's Bakery that offers nice rooms with great coffee and baked goods - way better accommodations than Land's End at the end of the spit.

Don't underestimate the great opportunities for landscape work - especially in September!!! - in the Chugach mountains around Anchorage. You could spend your whole trip in the area and be quite happy with your experience.

The world's best pizza and beer is found at the The Moose's Tooth in Anchorage; their sister restaurant, The Bear's Tooth has a Mexican menu with a theater pub, should it rain.

I'm happy to offer more info and answer specific questions as you narrow your plans.

I'd say September is a bit late of Gates of the Arctic. I was there in mid-August and the colors were at peak. It also snowed on the ground at the base of the Arrigetchs. Check my write up on Gates. It is a fairly expensive and involved trip.

Aspens should be nice in Wrangell St Elias and on the Glenn Highway mid-September.

For an easy trip, you could drive to Seward, visit Kenai Fjords to see the tidewater glaciers and hike up the Harding Field, take the ferry to Valdez, drive to Mc Carthy, and then back to Anchorage through the Glenn.

For a time-point perspective on color, this was taken along the Parks HWY on 9/22/07, ten miles south of the Talkeetna turnoff.

Thanks a lot,

Eric, I will PM you for some more information when I am more decided if you do not mind. This would be of gret help.
    I am going to travel right in the begining of September. Most likely 1st-14th or so.

QT, I was looking at your Alaska images getting a lot of inspiration. I admit, your images from Hawaii were also helpful when we were plaining our Hawaii trip. Thanks a lot.

regards,

Jan

I'm leaving Anchorage at the end of July and will be on the road for a yet-to-be-detemined length of time. I'll have easy internet access up until then and you're more than welcome to email me directly (my email address is on the "info" page of my website).

You may want to try your luck with the Denali Road Lottery. Applications are accepted in July for a $10 non-refundable fee and this year's travel dates extend from September 14th through the 17th.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/upload/2007%...Guidelines.pdf

Thanks a lot,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    For a time-point perspective on color, this was taken along the Parks HWY on 9/22/07, ten miles south of the Talkeetna turnoff.
    Gee Eric, it looks like sheet film, but must have really been some new-fangled digital thing that enables shooting in the future!

Thanks Eric

Thanks Eric for the tip on the Road Lottery--just filled out the envelope--you never know!!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    Time traveller I see.