Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Choice of meter/metering method for landscape/scenic work

Choice of meter/metering method for landscape/scenic work

For what it's worth:

I've got a Pentax Digital, and like it. It was modified by Zone VI. I bought it quite a while ago at $160 new. That tells you how old it is (at least 15 years) but it keeps working.

I bought a Sekonic selenium cell incident meter a couple of years ago because 1) I wanted to try incident reading exposure and 2) I wanted something that doesn't use batteries for a backup.

Then ago I bought a Polaris flash meter for about $150. It works amazingly well.

I would not limit myself to just a spot meter, although I have an old pentax spot which could be found used for $150 or so. I would search for a dual meter--incident & reflective w/spot such as the Sekonic--their 5 is their most expensive--the model below which I can not recall is the one I recently purchased, it has all three types of metering. I have been very pleased with the Minolta 4 which does not have spot, however, the model above does--Gossen makes quality meters as I have an old luna pro which does all three types of metering. go with a meter which has all three !

I must qualify myself as an advanced beginner, but I have a Gossen Luna Pro with a variable spot attachment (I think it's 7.5 amd 15 degrees). Easy to find for around $100 or so. Does reflective and incident light. I've had no compaints. I only do color, so may a spot meter would be more suitable for B+W.

I dont know much/anything about the specs of your F100, but if it has a usable spot meter capability, I'd be tempted to purchase a 135mm lens or so and simply use that. It means your 'meter' can do something none of the other options can do - take photos! It all comes down to how much you want to carry/spend, your need for the latest/greatest, and whether you shoot solely LF, or use it to supplement 35mm etc.

To add a question to a question . . .

For those who have the Zone VI modified spot meter, do you use it for color? If so, how well does it work?

I use my Pentax V for color, and I've had good luck. I correct my readings for different colors based on some tests I did one time. But, is there a way that I could use the modified meter for color?

My Zone VI modified digital Pentax has always worked just fine with color. The meter has corrected spectral response for panchromatic black and white, so color film should match up quite well. In my experience, it does.

I use both the Pentax spot (analog) and the Sekonic incident meters. I grab the Sekonic 95% of the time. It is quick, easy and accurate. The main problem for scenics is if you are forced to stand under a shaded area while shooting a sunlit area. Otherwise, it is great. A bit of experience observing the overall scene will let you know if you need to adjust exposures. The Pentax is accurate, fast, reliable and a pain in the ass to use.

I own both the Sekonic L508 and the Zone VI (Pentax). My recommendation, buy the Pentax Zone VI from Calumet. You will be happy with it for the rest of your shooting days. I use and love the Sekonic for flash work, but absolutely hate it for outdoor and scenic/landscape work.

But the Zone VI and you will not regret your decision, even if it takes you a few months to save up.

I bought a Soligor spot meter a long time ago and have been happy with it. I would like a digital spot but can't afford it right now. I think an incident meter with large format is a stupid idea when a spot meter is available. One of the main benefits of LF is individual film development and a good idea of what the brightness range of the scene is makes use of a spot meter more critical than an incident meter. You don't need to know the average of the scene but the range of brightness. My Soligor has many, many miles on it and it is working great. It has been dropped, gotten wet, baked in the sun and frozen and still works superbly. And I don't know why taking the eyepiece from your face to look at the meter is so difficult. I don't even think you need the fancy zone system decal on the meter to know what zone you're in. I look at the low reading and the high reading and subtract. What I have is the brightness range. That's all I need. Whether I use 1/4 @f22 or 2 secs @f64 isn't part of the zone system. Then I know if I am at 5 zaones I will need less developing time and a tad more exposure and If I'm at 3 zones I'll need a tad less exposure. Simple. You don't "need" all of those digital extras. But a Pentax Spot would be nice due to it's small size and lighted display for working in really low light situations. James

I bought a Soligor (Capital) spot meter in England which is the same as the Adorama one and I find it very adequate. I bought the analogue version where you read a needle reading in the viewfinder. The only drawback is low light where it might be difficult to read the meter. In which case, go for the digital which I think has an illuminated display. Otherwise it's a very workmanlike piece of gear without frills. It'll do the job.