Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for os9 software on cd

Looking for os9 software on cd

When i installed osx on my scanner-dedicated mac g3, i dumped os9 classic. I now have a scanner (dt-s1030ai) that requires os9. I can't a source anywhere and everyone i know has thrown there's away. Any ideas?

vinny

Re: Looking for os9 software on cd

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    When i installed osx on my scanner-dedicated mac g3, i dumped os9 classic. I now have a scanner (dt-s1030ai) that requires os9. I can't a source anywhere and everyone i know has thrown there's away. Any ideas?

vinny
    eBay. I bought a bootable CDROM of MacOS 9.1 there a few years ago. There were copies coming up for sale every few days.

Bruce Watson

Can you run the scanner using Classic Mode? If yes, then your OS X CD/DVD should have OS 9.2.2 on it, and you can do an install. There is a tricky way to do that, though the easiest is a new install of all software. If you can find the hidden installer just for Classic, then you can pass on doing a full install from scratch. This is not simple, though if you search a bit you can probably find some good explanations of how to accomplish this.

If you need to run SCSI, another item that might work is the Ratoc FR1SX FireWire to SCSI converter. I have one of these to run an older scanner and an MO drive.

You might also try contacting Apple. While it might not be cheap, they should be able to get you a dedicated OS 9.2 install CD.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Thanks Bruce, i don't know why i didn't think of that since a good percentage of my paychecks get spent on ebay. I lucked out and my Gustavo had it. I'll install it and i post my results.
    The G3 has osx on it but it can't find classic when i try to install the scanning software.
    Update:
    I get a pop up that says "Classic startup found no system folder on the boot volume from which to start classic."
    this is what it said initially when i tried to install the scanning software. I know the computer had classic on it when i got it and then i installed osx. I think i may have dumped something i shouldn't have to make room on the HD for the old imacon software.

I'm trying to install os9 and the cd rom shows up now but i get a "No destination disk has been chosen." Any mac users know what to do?
    thanks

I had a similar installation problem trying to get LivePicture running on my newer PowerBook G4. Using the install CD just would not work. So I took a chance on drag copying all the files off an older OS 9.2.2 computer, using FireWire Target Disc mode on the newer G4 PowerBook. You have to know exactly where to drag copy the files, though basically it worked for me.

Probably a drag copy of the older software would work. I am guessing you don't want to purchase the newer Screen software for your scanner, but you have the older install CD?

Worse case is you need to have a machine that can boot into OS 9, and install the Screen software on that. Then once you know where the files go, you can use FireWire target mode and a drag copy operation to move the files to run in Classic on the newer computer. It might seem like a pain, but you would only need to do this once.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

"Probably a drag copy of the older software would work. I am guessing you don't want to purchase the newer Screen software for your scanner, but you have the older install CD?

Worse case is you need to have a machine that can boot into OS 9, and install the Screen software on that. Then once you know where the files go, you can use FireWire target mode and a drag copy operation to move the files to run in Classic on the newer computer. It might seem like a pain, but you would only need to do this once."
    Well, the scanner came with a old Umax Supermac, loaded with the software, software on floppies, has scsi but no usb's or firewire cards. It works but i don't have a way to get the files off of it and i'd really like to use the faster g3 that i already have.
    I had my other scanner hooked up the the G3 with osx on it and that worked great. I have a usb floppy drive that i'm using to try to load the scanning program with into the G3 but w/o os 9, i'm stuck.
    vinny

Hello Vinny,

Does your start-up disk control panel show an OS 9 choice? If it does, then you can set that to boot up in OS 9. However, since I don't know which G3 you have, I am not completely sure that will work; though most G3 computers should be able to boot into OS 9. Anyway, if there is no choice of Classic nor OS 9 in your start-up disk control panel, then you would need to re-install OS 9 on that computer.

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbth...&an=0&page=126

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbth...&an=0&page=292

This thread has some details on doing an OS 9 install on a computer that already has OS X. You would need your original OS X disk (either CD or DVD). Use the Additional Software option.

If I was closer to where you live, I would volunteer to help you with this. It is not easy to explain by typing words. Hopefully one of those links helps you.

On your old UMAX, if it has a network connector (RJ45, Ethernet), then you can connect is that way to your newer computer. It would be slower, though should work fine for transferring files. You could do this best by using a crossover network cable to connect the two computers.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

After partitioning the hard drive i was able to install os9.0 and the basic scanning software. I power up the scanner before the computer and everything is connected as it was with the old mac that it worked on 2 days ago. Now when i try to preview or prescan an image i get a error #0030 "scanner nonconnect". I've posted the question on the scan hi-end forum as well. I've got a bunch of 8x10 velvia chromes here. I'm going nuts. Any ideas?
    vinny

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    After partitioning the hard drive i was able to install os9.0 and the basic scanning software. I power up the scanner before the computer and everything is connected as it was with the old mac that it worked on 2 days ago. Now when i try to preview or prescan an image i get a error #0030 "scanner nonconnect". I've posted the question on the scan hi-end forum as well. I've got a bunch of 8x10 velvia chromes here. I'm going nuts. Any ideas?
    vinny
    Once you boot the computer in OS 9 go to the System Profiler and check your devices. If the system does not see the device on the chain you may have a SCSI conflict of some type. The problem might be the SCSI card itself, or perhaps the card driver is not installed. You can check this by looking the the Control Panel Extension files to see if there is a SCSI driver. Many scanners are very sensitive to the type of SCSI card. The best one for scanners seems to be the Adaptec 2906. You may also want to make sure that the SCSI chain is terminated at the end.

Also, you need to make sure that the scanner is turned on before you boot the Mac when working with SCSI. But you probably already know that.

Sandy King