Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Almost ready to take my first LF picture

Re: Almost ready to take my first LF picture

Kodak T-Max films are sensitive to a little past 700 nm; the same is true of Fortepan, if you can still find any. Ilford SFX is probably the best for H-alpha of the films currently manufactured; it's sensitive to about 750 nm (and fully panchromatic, unlike most true-IR films of the past). Rollei IR 400 (made by Efke, a 400 speed daylight rated version of their IR820) is sensitive further out than SFX, but it's a *lot* more expensive.

All of these films are a lot slower with the H-alpha filter than they would be without a filter, but that's to be expected; you're blocking off most of the light they can normally record.

For night sky, it's tempting to suggest one of the Fuji slide films -- IIRC, it's Velvia that requires no reciprocity correction to something like two hours (making it the fastest color film you can load for very dim light).
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

For night sky the Fuji slide films are quite good, in 35mm or 120 I use the provia 400, if I were to use 4x5 I would probably use provia 100, or maybe Astia as the provia 400 is not made in sheet film, and I don't think I could order enough for them to make a special batch

Sometimes I find your post a bit confusing? I am not for sure what it is you are doing but I think you may find some kodak Portra 400 CN sheet film (color negative) out there that might be suitable?