View Poll Results: What GG Viewing Tool Do You Use ?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tube like dark cloth

64 45.39%
  • Traditional rectangular dark cloth

67 47.52%
  • A Loupe

8 5.67%
  • Your Hands

2 1.42%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What's your favorite Darkcloth ?

Re: What's your favorite Darkcloth ?

Blackjacket, or a black t-shirt if I'm going light
    Laurent

Not surprisingly, I have followed this thread with interest. It is great to see so many options and individual approaches.

Yes we did a comparison of four of the most popular focus hoods in our third issue, comparing BTZS vs. BlackJacket vs. GnassGear vs. TedsPhotoGear.
    Michael, I find your publication nicely produced and interesting to read, and appreciate your including the BLACKJACKET™ in the comparison. One clarification might be useful with regard to the neck size you chose for your review, (provided per your request to fit a Linhof Technika).

As you noted in your article, the 32" neck is fine for that camera, but too small for a Technikardan. The proper choice to fit larger cabinets and monorails, is a 40" or 46" neck, which would also work with the smaller Technika.

Hi all ,I thought iwas the pioneer of the black T shirt trick the neck fits perfectly over the back of a 5x4(large size t shirt),will maybe have to use something else when i try 8x10 although Vinny in a earlier post is using the other end !! So the t shirt is a multi format solution. cheers Gary

Nice to see Keith chiming in ... kudo's to him. He and his wife are a delight to work with and a real asset to the large format community.

After using an A-S reflex binocular viewer for years I switched to a Hybrid Blackjacket.
    I'm very pleased with it - the older I get and the wider angle the lens the more I need a loupe.

I have a BTZS hood which technically works great, but is super hot and sweaty inside so I tried to cobble together different DIY remedies. I made this matboard box contraption attached to the frame of the orignal Shen-Hao ground glass shade. I carved out the top and bottom edges to fit my face and covered the edges with black gaffer tape. This gives a light tight seal (more or less). The spring on the original shade wasn't tight enough to hold the door all the way up so the little black plastic flaps got in the way. Pretty hokey, and it didn't block light any better than your hands would, so I removed it to make this doodad. The box works pretty good despite being ugly as hell. (making a formal one with wood finish would be nicer) It can be swung out of the way to use a loupe. The biggest problem is that it doesn't work as well when you switch to a vertical. It does prevent me from getting cooked, though!

joseph

I've taken to wearing a sleeveless jacket (Jaeger, for the fashionistas among you)
    and when it comes time to get under the hood, I reverse it,
    and wear it back to front-
    The collar goes over my head,
    and the tail goes over the camera-

(Yes, that is a lamp post growing out of my head, thanks Rob )

joseph

I either use my BTZS Tube or Blackjacket Hybrid dark cloths along with a 4X Horizon, 7X Wista Hood Lupe, or 8X Schneider Lupe. When weight is more of an issue I use the BTZS Darkcloth. When weight is not as much of an issue and humidity is more of an issue I use the Blackjacket Hybrid dark cloth.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

I am ashamed to say that I use Ebony's ultra-expensive darkcloth. SHAME, I tell you. I bought this when I didn't know what I was doing whilst putting together a 4x5 system for the first time. However, it certainly works for me. It is ultra-light, and completely waterproof. It covers down the entire camera, which suits me fine as it conceals the expensive looking Arca from unpleasant people. It doubles as a lenshood, and it has kept me and my camera dry in downpours countless times.