Thread: Apo-Ronars still in production

Apo-Ronars still in production

There has been a talk recently on the possible discontinuation of the Apo-Ronar line by Rodenstock. I have made a query at Rodenstock Germany and this is what t hey answered:

Dear Mr. Schilliger,

I assume there is a misunderstanding regarding Apo-Ronar lenses.

1. We discontinued all Apo-Ronar lenses in normal mount for graphic art works. 2. We will not discontinue our Apo-Ronar large format lenses in shutter. We will keep these lenses in our programme for the next five years that is to say as long as we can sell them. So don't worry about that these lenses will not be available any more. 3. Maybe the rumor comes that we discontinued, like I said before, all Apo-Ronar lenses for graphic art works. Our subsidiary Rodenstock Precision Optics purchased the lenses we had in stock three years ago and as soon as they are sold out there will be no more graphic art lenses from Rodenstock. Maybe our distributor HP Marketing talked about these graphic art lenses and not the lenses in shutter.

Best regards,

Klaus Huhle e-mail: klaus.huhle@rodenstock.de

To fully clairify:

The 240, 300, 360 and 480mm Apo Ronar in Copal, Compur and prontor professional shutter (other shutters on request) are still in the factory production program.

Longer and shorter Apo Ronars and all Apo Ronar and Apo Ronar CL lenses in NF mount are no longer in production by Rodenstock.

Bob,

I don't want to be a dick about this, but it sure does appear there is a serious disconnect with providing factual information about the status of the Apo Ronar lens line. If this is marketing spin, or just plain wild shooting from the hip, it is obvious there is bad information being given out. Many readers of this forum, including me, have been taking your words as gospel because of your position with the importer.

Below are the quotes made about the complete discontinuance of the Apo Ronar. They do not agree with the position taken above.

---------------

The Apo Ronars are out of production but the brochures have not caught up to that yet. Currently there are only two 360.s left in stock -- Bob Salomon (bobsalomon@mindspring.com), June 06, 2000.

As I stated above the Apo Ronars are out of production. -- Bob Salomon (bobsalomon@mindspring.com), June 07, 2000.

We checked with Rodenstock today. All Apo Ronars are discontinued. -- Bob Salomon (bobsalomon@mindspring.com), June 08, 2000.

:thats just a rumor! " No it isn't. -- Bob Salomon (bobsalomon@mindspring.com), June 09, 2000.

Sorry Bruce,

Some are out of production, some are not. All that are in production are special order.

That clarifies the misunderstandings.