Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to Know More About HABS Projects

Want to Know More About HABS Projects

In another thread, someone mentioned HABS projects. I've done some reading about this at http://www.nps.gov/history/hdp and linked pages, and I have a few questions.

1) Is HABS still relevant. For example, documentation suggests that HABS projects required the use of Kodak Azo and a film Kodak no longer carry's.

2) Has anyone worked on a HABS project? If so, what's your perspective on HABS?

3) Are there grants around for this kind of work?

4) When does it apply? What are the benefits? Why would someone go and do one of these projects?

Any general information about habs would be appreciated.
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 19-Jun-2007 at 22:09. Reason: spelling error

Re: Want to Know More About HABS Projects

I believe that there is a presentation scheduled at the Large Format Conference on HABS/HAER.

Jett Lowe (the HAER photographer) spoke at the 2005 LF Conference in Springfield. Interesting 'war stories' about getting access to locations, etc. He didn't mention the Azo thing, but he did say that they still want 5x7 negatives, and that he uses Tri-X.

the guidlines are dated 2001 - some of those standards and requirments were out of date even then.

And the whole issue of AZO - I guess in 2001 you could still just about get it... but not "readily available".

And any discussion of a substitute just isn't considered - which you would think was important with all the longevity issues and potential problems that pertain to modern fibre based papers (i.e their supposed standard of 500 years is going to be hard to get with a modern paper...)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Jack Boucher and Jet Lowe, from HABS and HAER, will discuss their programs and their continued relevance at the View Camera conference in Louisville June 29-July 1.

If you have questions call or write

steve simmons
    largformat@aol.com
    505-899-8054

multiplex

hi neil

i have been submitting work to the habs project since about 1991.
    usually the photographic documentation is part of a larger submission -
    detailed report written a certain way ( see the habs website ).

the habs program does its best to document sites+structures
    that have national significance - landmark ... last or best example of its kind,
    associated with someone of national importance &C. if the "thing" is important
    locally or on a state leval (not nationally) the states have their own habs-esque
    program. sometimes they want large format, sometimes 35mm.

regarding film and paper ...
    they like what they recommend, but
    they accept other materials as well --
    i have submitted on other film + paper ...

as for $$
    humanities grants may help you, or grants
    from places like the graham foundation, or local artists grants ...

good luck!
    john

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    In another thread, someone mentioned HABS projects. I've done some reading about this at http://www.nps.gov/history/hdp and linked pages, and I have a few questions.

1) Is HABS still relevant. For example, documentation suggests that HABS projects required the use of Kodak Azo and a film Kodak no longer carry's.

2) Has anyone worked on a HABS project? If so, what's your perspective on HABS?

3) Are there grants around for this kind of work?

4) When does it apply? What are the benefits? Why would someone go and do one of these projects?

Any general information about habs would be apreciated.

Until 2 days ago I'd never heard of HABS/HAER, just figured it was one of those things that magically happened, like packaged chicken parts.

Looking at the nps.gov site I got the impression that many of the historic sites and reports were underdocumented from a photographic standpoint.Some of the reports use photocopies of pictures taken in the 1930's and before. Maybe LF Forum members can expand the collection. Here's a chance to photograph all the old cars and broken down barns you can find and be doing a valuable patriotic service at the same time!

First thing to do is to come up with an official HABS/LF Forum Photographer badge to flash at any unsuspecting cop or law enforcement nut, which states that you are doing work for the federal gov't and please go chase terrists somewhere else.

Seriously, this looks like a great opportunity for the enthusiast photographers among us. Thanks for the information.

I had a hard time figuring out basic things from the website. Do you submit without letting them ahead of time, or do you get approval first and then submit.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi neil

i have been submitting work to the habs project since about 1991.
    usually the photographic documentation is part of a larger submission -
    detailed report written a certain way ( see the habs website ).

the habs program does its best to document sites+structures
    that have national significance - landmark ... last or best example of its kind,
    associated with someone of national importance &C. if the "thing" is important
    locally or on a state leval (not nationally) the states have their own habs-esque
    program. sometimes they want large format, sometimes 35mm.

regarding film and paper ...
    they like what they recommend, but
    they accept other materials as well --
    i have submitted on other film + paper ...

as for $$
    humanities grants may help you, or grants
    from places like the graham foundation, or local artists grants ...

good luck!
    john

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    I had a hard time figuring out basic things from the website. Do you submit without letting them ahead of time, or do you get approval first and then submit.

i would suspect if you come up with certain subject matter,
    you could get it "ok'd" by the folks at the habs office and they would be happy to accept your negatives and prints ...

good luck!
    john

I just called up Richard O'Connor, the chief of Heritage Documentation Programs:

http://www.nps.gov/history/hdp/contact.htm

I asked him, "How do I submit photo sets to you?" He says: read through the guidelines, select a structure of architectural or historical importance, and make a submission to him. If the project is accepted he then processes the application and forwards the materials to Library of Congress.

Seems like the process is pretty straightforward, and a lot easier than getting your work shown in a gallery.

Seems like the process is pretty straightforward, and a lot easier than getting your work shown in a gallery.
    WAIM? These two points are completely unrelated. HABS and gallery shows have absolutely nothing in common.

I have done a few of dozen of these (HABS, HAER or HAL) over the years, but never on my own dime. All were done as a subcontractor to a preservation architect who was doing a Level III (I may remember that wrong) documentation, because a significant structure was being demolished or remodeled. It is best to look up and see if there are any preservation architects in your area who may need your services or talk to your state historic preservation officer (SHIPO). The SHIPO sponsors or oversees much of the HABS documenation done in most states.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"