Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: photographing in California's Missions

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: photographing in California's Missions

The rules can also differ when one encounters a nice church lady. I think I met Kevin's lady at San Juan Capistrano, yet at Santa Inez the nice lady let me in before hours because she saw my camera/tripod and wanted me to be able to photograph with out visitors interfering. At San Juan Capistrano the nice lady just wagged a finger and reminded me that no commercial photography is allowed... but smiled when I told her that I might have decent gear but I'm not good enough to be a commercial photographer. It all depends on the church lady and her attitude!

Les

Although I lived close to the San Luis Obispo one for many years, I probably visited 90% of the 32 original missions. I never had problems taking photos at any of them, but with hefty tripod this could have been different. Each may have slightly different policy or hours. Depending on light conditions, they are all quite photogenic. The one in Santa Barbara was cool, since I'd try to use the water fountain reflection (w/pola filter)....and the koi fish in there would really pop on the film. I'd venture to guess that the fish are gone due to racoons.

Les

Drew Wiley

Docents and volunteers aren't necessarily expected to know all the rules themselves, esp in this era when 99% percent of visitors are snapping pics with a cell phone. Nuns can be tough. But I've been chewed out for tripods in at various locations by suspicious neighbors or mere tourists who had exactly zero authority.
    Generally being polite and humorous helps; but sometimes, only "bug off" seems to work. With anyone law-enforcement related, regardless of whether or not
    they belong there, politeness is common sense. Far more often a docent if more likely to be an annoyance by asking too many personal photography questions,
    assuming you're an expert because of the serious gear. Comes with the territory, which is exactly why I tend to avoid touristy places altogether.

I always ask permission to photograph at any church, and I've yet to have been denied. Some missions, like Carmel are operated like tourist attractions and may even charge for admission to help keep up the buildings. Fair enough. FWIW the tourist crowd at the missions are pretty thick in the summer and when I shoot at the missions I like to clear out by 10:00AM before the buses unload.
    A rare few of the missions, (San Antonio de Padua IIRC at least before the last quake damage) have a retreat house and you can sometimes get lodging overnight---austere and simple fare in one of the original adobes, with no modern conveniences ...tv/phone/wifi etc... but it provides access to the mission grounds during the golden hours and sometimes interesting night photography opportunities, just don't disturb the other guests on retreat.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Although I lived close to the San Luis Obispo one for many years, I probably visited 90% of the 32 original missions. I never had problems taking photos at any of them, but with hefty tripod this could have been different. Each may have slightly different policy or hours. Depending on light conditions, they are all quite photogenic. The one in Santa Barbara was cool, since I'd try to use the water fountain reflection (w/pola filter)....and the koi fish in there would really pop on the film. I'd venture to guess that the fish are gone due to racoons.

Les
    I've never seen koi; but I also have never seen fat raccoons, either. I wonder where they went?

Fish were there two years ago.

Maybe I need to be more observant. ��