Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feisol CT-3401 Tripod

Feisol CT-3401 Tripod

Hey guys,

Just got my new tripod in the mail this weekend. Havent gotten a chance to use it yet, but I think i'm gonna be very pleased. The thing is incredibly light! I'm happy to see that it does extend even higher than my old Manfrotto 3221 WN. I'm quite happy with the rotating leg locks, although i've never used a Gitzo to compare. Overall, I can't imagine a better tripod for the money. Thanks again for all your help.

Adam

Re: Feisol CT-3401 Tripod

Welcome to the "Why Throw Your Money At Gitzo When You Can Have A Feisol" Club.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Welcome to the "Why Throw Your Money At Gitzo When You Can Have A Feisol" Club.
    Here Here!
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Hah-- I just joined, placed an order for one of the new 3442 models with a leveling head.

Looking forward to retiring the old aluminum 3001 I've used as a 2nd tripod for years.

JT

Does anyone have any experience with the Feisol CT-3471 tripod. It has a 60 inch maximum height, spiked feet and center column option? I also am looking at the CT-3442. I'm 6'1" and would need the center column. Is the 3442 stable enough for a Canham DLC when extended with the center column? Thanks, Steve

I have the 3471 with the center column option (there are two options now). It is taller than me when fully extended and I'm 6'0".
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Sample View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the Feisol CT-3471 tripod. It has a 60 inch maximum height, spiked feet and center column option? I also am looking at the CT-3442. I'm 6'1" and would need the center column. Is the 3442 stable enough for a Canham DLC when extended with the center column? Thanks, Steve
    I've never thought that using a center column was a good idea with any tripod. It's always seemed to me like converting a tripod into a monopod. Others may have a different view but if it were me, much as I've liked my Feisol if I couldn't find a model that was usable without the center column I'd look for a different brand.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I aggree with Brian, mostly ... I say mostly because the lightweight travel pod, model 3441, that I am using does seem to require that the center column stay in place. You don't need to raise it but there is a small 'knob' that sticks up. IMO it doesn't negatively impact stability.

I'll add that after using this tripod for a month now I just get more and more impressed with its quality and stability. I have been using it with both a Toyo AII and a Fuji Finepix S5 (longest lens tried so far is the 180 2.8) and it is solid.

I have the CT-3371 with the spikes, which you will want. At the first setting with the legs fully extended, the base plate is 61" high. I am 6' 1" and with the geared head I use, which is 6" high, using a 4x5 camera, I have to reduce the leg extensions by about 4" each or a total of 8 inches. That puts the ground glass at my eye level. I also have the optional center column, but hardly ever use it. However, when you need it, you need it and it is a darn sight better than nothing and a lot better than any monopod. If I want, I can put everything in the bag that came with the tripod and they give you all the tools you will need which are all in the side pocket. This allows you to take everything in the bag and use only what you need. If I must carry the tripod any distance, then I only take the tripod and leave everything else. Not as convenient, but minimum weight.

I use my center column on my 3471 to help adjust the camera to be exactly in the middle of artwork that I am hired to copy. Sure I could play with rise and tilt, but I've made as many as 6 exposures that I stitched together on some of the murals that I worked with. Dead nuts centering is better. Adjusting the leg extensions would do it to be sure, but when the artwork varies in the size as much as it does, it's more convienient just to move the column a bit. If I was photographing the world like most of you do, I'd probably leave the column at home too.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.