Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double exposure - multiple exposure

Double exposure - multiple exposure

Can anyone tell me how you do double exposures using LF, particularly for portraits, and especially how you meter?

Re: Double exposure - multiple exposure

How? Just fire the shutter more then once and claim it wasn't a mistake -)

Give one stop less exposure then the meter reads for a double. Remember each stop means 1/2 the exposure.

Metered a scene recently containing a waterfall and decided on a multiple exposure for the shot... -straight from Barry Thorntons book the 'Edge of Darkness - the reading to place the shadows on Zone lll was 1/2@f32 so I divided the
    exposures into 8 separate exposures of one 15th@f32 which is the same as one exposure
    of 1/2sec@f32.
    I was just very careful to not jar the camera each time I cocked the shutter!
    The effect was real nice and the exposure was great!
    Kev

OK suppose more specifically I want to have an effect where the model seems to have two extra sets of arms - I was thinking of making one full exposure, then draping a dark cloth over her head and shoulders and moving her arms, making another full exposure. Whatdya think?

Not the best person to give an answer cyrus......... but i imagine the black cloth would rendered on the film to....but then again maybe the model would be best covered for the
    first exposure then revealed in the second ......worth a go? Steve Simmons book shows a picture called
    'The Forgotten Little girl' if you've not seen it, its worth a look it might interest you! Its a
    double exposure of a little girl sitting on a chair..... one exposure was made with here sitting on the chair and the other made without her....it renders her ethereal, kind of ghost like.....
    kev

Cyrus,

That would work best with a black background. Otherwise both sets of arms would have an exposure of a light background added to them, while the body would not.

Not any easier, but you could also "paint" with light...Model with a dark background with a good full exposure of whole body, then turn off all lights and open lens. Hand-hold a flash or other light to expose just an arm, then the other arm...aiming the light as not to give any more exposure to the body

Vaughn

Hmmm...both sound like good ideas. The background will be black.

I have a multiple exposure guide at:

www.photo-artiste.com/multexguide.html

It needs further updating and I have more examples that I intend to add, but it should help as a start.
    al

As long as the various elements (arms in this case) do not overlap, and the background and everything else is black, then normal exposure should be given. Any overlap will of course be overexposed.

For the "ghost" type images – I've had to do shots of machines with their covers on and off in the same photo – the exposure should be divided. I opted to shut the lens down an extra stop and give one flash with lid on and one with lid off. Not very creative but it paid the rent for that week...

Should work fine, I did 3 or 4 exposures on a 35mm slide film simply using the difference in light & shadow while the sun was going down (late afternoon).
    Using slide film allows for the 1 stop of exposure latitude of the film.
    Note I was making multiple exposures of flowers extending into the light & with a dark background of dark green foliage in deep shadow of wall & the exposure above wall was of course blown out (clear) & the format size produced an overlap in the floral arrangement.
    But as I was using slide film, I didn't reduce the rated exposure! But then I was shooting separate subjects . . . the hard part will be to insure your model's arms & body maintain their place on the film. Especially as you want to add another set of arms,she will need to slide down to have her arms extend from below the other. Shooting once with dark cloth as background then with background uncovered should work well as long as you keep your lighting off the background . . . this will probably work best with soft diffuse light source from the sides & slight backlighting.
    Last edited by Clay Turtle; 20-Jun-2007 at 12:19. Reason: additional information