Thread: Mac: When JPGs are not the same in iPhoto vs Photoshop

Mac: When JPGs are not the same in iPhoto vs Photoshop

This is way off topic for the LF audience but I've found that some of you guys really know your stuff better than what I would get on a broader forum....

So I have thousands of jpgs created from edited images using Photoshop (all versions dating back, but I've used CS2 for the last two years). When try to upload them to iPhoto, or a flash drive Picture Frame, or Myspace I will often get a "file format not supported". While the exact same file works online on my website or Flickr or other things... it is indeed a jpg.

If I open the problem file with "Preview" and resave, then it loads fine. But that is huge pain in the butt.

I can't imagine I am the only one having this problem. Basically I want to install thousands of family snapshots onto the grandparent's iPhoto and whatnot. And it is embarrassing to be the computer geek who doesn't have an answer.

(And yes, I've repaired the file permissions, done all the updates, and rebuilt the iPhoto libraries.)

Re: Mac: When JPGs are not the same in iPhoto vs Photoshop

check which JPG format you're saving. You have a lot of colour profiles, plus JPG-2000, and adobe often clashes with mac.

Start an automator workflow if you can. It'll re-save all your files for you if you can't work out the adobe problem.

Frank, how exactly are you saving your JPEGs? Are you using Save As... or Save for Web option?

If you are using Save As... and then pick JPG, you are most likely saving some extras with your JPG, such as Icon and/or a Thumbnail (could be Mac, Windows or both). If so, those could be causing you trouble.

Check your Photoshop preferences, specifically File Handling portion, and uncheck any of those.

Better yet, use Save for Web... - it lets you optimize your file, pick the profile to embed or not, preview in browser (best approximation of how it will look in iPhoto) and it does not include any "baggage".

yeah that is the bizzare part - I am using Save FOr Web for most of this... geez

Try opening them all with Graphic Convertor and then resave and it should solve the problem.