I've only been doing photography for 30 years but before I buy a helical focusing mount to use shorter-than-90mm lenses in my Linhof Tech IV could someone offer a quick explanation of how you actually use one?

Given that the helical LOOKS like it moves the lens farther away from the film plane (instead of closer, like a recessed board) I'm guessing the front standard must be placed further back into the camera (which can be problematic on a Tech IV) before any helical-focusing can occur. Also, do you have to manually focus on infinity FIRST, to give some sort of benchmark for the helical to work from?

Since I'm still investigating ultra-wide-on-Tech-IV options, and so many users complain about Linhof recessed-board difficulties, I'm open to any user-friendly suggestions (other than 'buy another camera'...I've got too many already!) I do realize that my dropped front bed will appear in every shot but I'm going to crop it out in printing. Thanking you in advance, this forum is an amazing resource and a real class act.

Rick Olivier
New Orleans