Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to mount this in-barrel lens ?

How to mount this in-barrel lens ?

I just got a 250mm Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar f/4.5 in barrel.

What would be the best way to mount it ? I would like to retain the original diaphragm. If not, I would want one with lots of blades: I have learned that much. I hope to use the lens for portraits and botanicals.

I have some older lenses, in older shutters, and don't mind the older shutters at all.

It is currently on a Sinar board, and while I prefer a Technika board, I can live with the Sinar board, since I have one.

Although I have a Sinar camera, I don't want to use the Sinar shutter device. I tried one, and found it rather cumbersome. Since I shoot in the field as often as indoors, it makes even less sense.

Many thanks.

Re: How to mount this in-barrel lens ?

Mount it how? In a shutter or to a lensboard?

You could mount it to a lensboard the way it is now. Maybe place a packard behind it.

How big is the opening ? I bet it's marginal for a 96x98 Linhof board.

Since you mentioned that you'd like to retain the original diaphragm, I'm assuming you meant that you wish to mount it into a shutter.
    For a lens of that size, I'd say it is more or less impossible. Like Nick said, you'd be better off mount a Packard shutter on it. On a Technika, you will probably have to resort to front-mounting the Packard shutter. Just get some all-thread, drill four holes to the lensboard corners and use nuts to adjust the position.

Not sure why you don't like the Sinar shutter. I've found it to be a lifesaver on many occasions. Great range of speeds, accurate, self-cocking and impossible to leave open with a film holder in the camera (spring back <-> shutter cable automatically closes the shutter)
    I don't think you can mount that with the shutter behind the front standard though. I had to build my own protruding lens board for the 360/4.5 Berthiot as there is only about 2mm of space between the lens board and the shutter.

Lasse,

How do you like your Berthiot lens? I am looking at one too. I think it's a tessar design by the look of it. There is very little information out there.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    How do you like your Berthiot lens? I am looking at one too. I think it's a tessar design by the look of it. There is very little information out there.
    Oh, yes, it's a Tessar alright.

I have only taken a few shots with it and those are undeveloped at the moment. Lots of things going on right now but I should be able to get to developing them in a few days. I'll send you the shots as I get them scanned.

EDIT: Here's a shot of the Berthiot on a Sinar Norma: http://www.kolumbus.fi/uusilehto/img/sinar/berthiot.jpg

I ran into a similar problem with my Zeiss 21cm f4.5 Tessar. After finding the mounting ring, and adapting it to a Linhof board, the shutter was the next issue. Unfortunately, what I found was that any shutter large enough would cost nearly as much as a much newer complete lens; so I ended up with a more modern Nikkor-W 180mm f5.6.

So the issue with large multi-speed shutters is that those with larger than 4x5 cameras seem to be driving the prices fairly high. The exceptions are a Packard, as others suggested, or if you can find one, a rollerblind shutter. The rollerblind shutter is basically a box with a focal plane shutter, and a hole large enough to fit over the front of the lens. Many have two or more shutter speeds. I believe Thornton Pickard was one, though perhaps other people can suggest others.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

The real issue is how cheap lenses in shutters are on the used market.

Unless you really like a barrel lenses having to pay some one to mount it makes it a very iffy idea from the cost view point. How much would a fairly modern Xenar cost used? I bet between the cost of a shutter and mounting the prices would be similar.

The ULF users have much less choice in newer stuff. So it makes more sense.

Now if it's something like a G-Claron that even I can mount into a shutter then it's different but most lenses don't make sense to use anything but a packard or other basic setup.

Sorry I was unclear. I would like to mount the lens in a shutter. If it costs a bit, I can always sell something else that I'm not using these days.

It would be nice to have the lens on a Technika board, but that is of secondary importance.

At this time, I have a preference for this line of lenses, and would not be interested in something more... modern.

If you mount it in a shutter the normal way (maybe it would fit in a Copal 3, which could fit in a Technika board without any exotic mount), then you have to use the aperture blades in the shutter. The aperture is part of the barrel and isn't easily transplanted to a shutter.

The other option is to front mount (i.e., leave it in the barrel and have an adapter ring made so that the whole lens in barrel screws into the front of the shutter) it on a larger shutter like an Ilex 5, which would require an extension lensboard and custom mounting ring, if you want to use a Technika lensboard. An Ilex 5 is a really big shutter. An Ilex 5 shutter does fit on a Sinar board without special adaptation.

For what you want and what you have, it's probably really easiest to use it in front of the Sinar shutter.

http://www.skgrimes.com/lensmount/24art/index.htm

If I'm understanding the webpage right you're looking at

$250+ for the labour plus
    $475 for the #3 shutter.

Plenty of Xenars etc older then then Jena. It's your money.