Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help identify Oregon Coast spot

Re: Please help identify Oregon Coast spot

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Donald,

I am confused, Haystack Rock is right on the beach at Canon Beach? They are pretty much one in the same, in fact at low tide, you can walk out to haystack from the beach..

http://www.cannon-beach.net/cbhaystack.html

Dave
    And Cannon Beach is about as far north up the Oregon coast as you can get. Some parts can look similar to the southern Oregon coast, though.

It is 21 miles from Astoria to Cannon Beach, so it is quite a ways north, but I originally posted that it look like an area that I visited SOUTH of Cannon beach when I lived in Oregon, but I think there have been a couple of posts as well as the response that my friend sent me, that pretty much nailed the location down.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Donald,

I am confused, Haystack Rock is right on the beach at Canon Beach? They are pretty much one in the same, in fact at low tide, you can walk out to haystack from the beach..

http://www.cannon-beach.net/cbhaystack.html

Dave
    I agree, Donald's message is puzzling. Also, Tuan said the location is in the southern half of the Oregon coast and Cannon Beach is well up in the northern half.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Sigh.

Obviously been *far* too long since I drove the Oregon coast (well, okay, it *has* been about fifteen years since I was last there)...

I recall a rock that looked like those pictures of Haystack, maybe bigger (had soil and grass on top, but was connected to the mainland at all tide levels) that's almost within sight of the view in question -- there's a rather treacherous trail from Hwy. 101 down to the beach at or very near the location where the photograph was made, with warnings that the beach can disappear completely in a very high tide or storm as well as signage warning about the trail itself (apparently, the S&R folks have to pull someone out of there every few months).

I'm sure it's north of Bandon; the coast south of there is sandy rather than steep. And it'd be south of the big dune field near Newport. That's as narrow as I can get it readily -- maybe Google Earth or Terraserver can give a good enough aerial to nail it?

Edit: Okay, it *has* been too long since I was there. Terraserver shows shoreline around Humbug Mountain that'd be correct for that view and sun angle -- and I give up trying to identify locations if they're not outside my window or in the near environs of Seattle...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Based on travel memories, I'm positive it is south of Bandon.

I found a wider view that shows the same trees and coastline shot across a cove:
    http://www.terragalleria.com/america...usor11539.html
    Does that help ?

With the benefit of the second photograph I have to back off of Port Orford. The second photograph looks much "wilder" than anything I remember at Port Ordord. So I'll now change my guess and go along with the suggestion that it's an area within the Samuel Boardman State Park. Unfortunately I have no idea which one.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I've answered this on Photo.net as well, but in case others are interested:- I'm pretty sure this is Spruce rock in the Samuel H Boardman Scenic Corridor between Gold Beach and Brookings and about five miles south of Pistol River. I think the foreground rock on the second picture is Arch Rock. If I'm right there is a short trail heading off to the right of the second picture which offers a somewhat overgrown and obstructed view of the next bay north.