Thread: question on Pyrocat HD agitation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Paul Cocklin

question on Pyrocat HD agitation

Well, I've developed my first 8x10's in Pyrocat hd and I have to say the sharpness in the negs definitely seems better than what D-76 did for me. But I have probably screwed up something because the negative (and print) contrast seems excessively high compared to what the scene was like. This is a contact print of the neg; neg was shot at 1 sec @ f22 with front swing (hence running out of image circle on the right side-lens is a 210mm Ilex Acu-Tessar) and developed @ 72 degrees in Pyrocat hd for 7 1/2 min. @ 1:1:100 dilution with 15seconds of agitation every 30 seconds (agitate 15, still for 30) in open trays.

Pardon the scan, it's off of a crappy 9 year old scanner that I don't really know how to use.

Is my agitation too frequent? Would that cause extra contrast?

My temperature control is basically room temp; I measure it prior to developing and then adjust times accordingly; I suppose it's possible that the thermometer I use is not very accurate and that the temps are higher; would over developement cause high contrast as well?

Is it possible that the scene was indeed this contrasty? I don't recall it as such, but then it was a sunny day and I was under tree cover.

Overall, I'm pleased as punch at the results, even though they may look like hell to some; I can't wait to shoot some more and do some more testing! Thanks for any suggestions, and to all who helped me get this far.

Paul

Last edited by Blueberrydesk; 12-Jun-2007 at 17:09. Reason: spelling