Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens for Century Graphic

Lens for Century Graphic

I bought a Century Graphic kit from ebay last night. I'm not sure I'm really intersted in keeping it, but it seemed a good deal and it came with 4 roll film backs that looked nearly worth the price of the whole deal.
    In any case...assuming I decide to keep the camera...what is the longest lens I can expect to mount/focus on the Century Graphic? I think I read something about 150mm unless it's a true telephoto design.
    Can anyone tell me what lenses might be available at 150mm or longer? Something contemporary to the camera I think...I don't want to spend for new.

Thanks,
    I've got my gear, now what?

Photography Blog

Re: Lens for Century Graphic

Umm...well.... I cheated....

JasonC bought a lens from Jim Galli back in Feb?? I had wanted the lens, but forgot all about it until Jason offered it to me a month or so ago. So I jumped on that and thought it would be nice on the Anniversary Speed Graphic.

It's a 10" lens. At TOTAL extension I can still get down to maybe 5ft? maybe even closer - I think I pushed it at 3ft.

So unless a Century is REALLY different then you can use a much longer lens, but you can't do close-ups/macro.

Well, I would like to get infinity focus...

Photography Blog

I got infinity focus. The focus rail in the bed gives me all the extension, I simply whack the lens out on the rail, and have it at infinity, THEN extend for close focus.

Which format did you buy? If this is the 2x3 camera with about 8" of bellows then you might manage a 200mm. Depends on the lens. How you mount it. Etc. But that's at infinity. Any more will need more bellows.

Here's the 4x5 Speed (it's stripped down though)
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43...d/DSC00268.jpg

Here's the garden, note the tree all the way in the background center?
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43...d/DSC00269.jpg

Here's the image on the ground glass (just about, dodgy pic, it's in focus on the glass, I promise )
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43...d/DSC00272.jpg

Here's close focus, about 4ft?? I still had an inch or so to play with, could get closer if needed
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43...d/DSC00276.jpg

Here's the GG
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43...d/DSC00273.jpg

So as long as it's 4x5 with the bellows extension, you can go pretty long

If it's for a 2X3 Graphic then your longest (non-telephoto) lens that you can focus on infinity and closer (to a degree) will be around a 190mm. I have a 2X3 Century and my 203mm 7.7 Ektar is a little too long for use. I have a 190mm 5.6 Ektar that is useable. As far a telephoto lenses, I know a 240mm (in this case a Tele-Xenar) will work fine. Schneider's slightly longer 270mm Tele-Arton that might also work on this size Century.

Mark

The longest standard issue lens for the Century Graphic is the 250/5.6 TeleOptar/TeleRaptar.

The camera will focus, e.g., a 203/7.7 Ektar or 203/7.5 Optar to infinity and closer, but some of the users who've discussed doing this on www.graflex.org haven't been uncomfortable with extending the bellows as far as needed.

Ash, your Anny Speed is at least a couple of inches thicker than the Century, which is a 2x3 camera that has no focal plane shutter.

Original poster, if you want to do macro work a lens around 100 mm will work well on a Century, that's what I use on mine.

This is the item I bought. Ebay listing.
    I thought it was a no-brainer good deal...which of course has me worried. ;-)
    My current plan is to sell the 2 6x6 roll film backs and a 6x7 back I already have. I want the 2 6x9 backs for my Graflex XLSW.
    Thanks for the lens mentions. I'll make a list to keep my eye out.
    I actually might like to do some macro work with this. I wonder if the triplet 103 that comes with it will be up to the task.

Photography Blog

It says in the auction listing that bellows extension is slightly less than 8".